Which type of scope is your favourite?

Following from the “What type of gun is your favourite?” thread.

Aimpoint H34L 1X, red dot on a .30-06. No need for magnification around here. They’re expensive but reliable. Battery lasts for years

Second would be a Meopta Meostar R1 4-16X44 on a .204 Ruger. Good for long range shots on wild dogs on a property I have access to.

My favourite is on my 30-06 as well, it is a Leupold 6.5 -20x56. Has a cutout at the base so the scope sits nice and low. Great in low light.

Have a sig red dot sight on a shotgun of mine, the fbi have been using it in recent years and i’ve had it a while now myself, ripper of a sight, scopes are awesome but all are under $700 scopes so nothing special

Don’t have a favorite brand but 3-9*40 is my favorite configuration. Or a set 6× :beers:

Bad eye sight and mostly shooting off the bench. Got a couple of vortex viper pst 6-24x50, plus a gen2 5-25x50.

My favorite scope is usually just the one that was on the gun when I bought it.
I’ve only bought 2 scopes, a Bushnell AR223 1-4x that I put on a shotgun but is now on my 303 hunting rifle and a really cheap olivion or something like that that I have on my air rifle.
They both work just like they should.

Same here. It’s a good balance for hunting and prices are usually reasonable. As soon as you go up to 50mm price really jumps.

1 Like

Thought this topic needed to be revived.

Are we talking a favorite Brand? Type First Focal Plane or Second? What about parallex adjustment adjustable Objective or Turret adjustable. Then there is fixed or zoom and even if you have adjustable turrets or have to take caps off and basically zero it at one range?

The worst scope I have ever seen was one that a couple of @bentaz mates were using. I had a look through that thing and it was a blurry fish eyed hazy smokey view. I never did look at the brand or model wish I had of now.

Dont think I would ever buy a scope that did not have adjustable turrets these days. Just being able to re zero easily depending on what load you are using is enough reason for me. I do have a very old scope on the 223 that has the old screw driver adjustable zero. I think I will settle on a bullet and a distance for that rifle.

My favourite scope is my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 50. I love it.
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/au/riflescopes/nxs/nxs-55-22x50

Fixed 4x or a 2-7x.

1 Like

Same as Bigpete, but throw in a red dot or a 2x fixed for wet season.

Just brought myself a Vortex Diamondback tactical scope in first focal plane to have a go with.
All of my others are second focal plane so for the price I thought I would give it a try.

Will bolt it on to my .22 when it gets approved.

I have two first focal plane scopes that are both in Mils. At first I didnt have a problem with them at all. Still dont really. The main concern I hear from many people is the way the retical changes scale as zoomed. Becoming perhaps a bit cramped on low magnifications. I tend to wind to the highest magnification that the situation will allow so that is not really a concern for me. In fact the scalable retical is the whole point of first focal planes.

The Mil’s is what I am now finding a little harder to keep straight in my head. shooting and getting used to adjusting turrets in 1/8 or 1/4 MOA has become more instinctive At least on the range. When hunting you dont often get a second opportunity to adjust aim or turrets if you miss. But I do like using the hash mark retical in the FFP and thinking ok that is 10 cm out or using the hash marks to gauge the distance between objects at the same distance. I will use a range finder if I want to know the distance trying to use it to work out distance would be a bit to mathematical without a lot of practice.

1 Like

I have a Vortex Diamondback tactical on my .22 . I think its a good scope probably way too much scope for a .22. The reticle makes it easy to hit coke cans at 150 metres and I have had a go at dialing in drop which was interesting . Good way to spend a day .

1 Like

Yep it is defiantly way too much for a .22 but I want to try and see how far out I can shoot and still be accurate. would be happy playing out to 300 mts lol.

Try doing a box test with it.
My diamondback isn’t a ‘tactical’ but I did find it wasn’t great at returning to zero after a bit of repeated adjustment for elevation and windage. It would be good to know if Vortex has sorted the issue on the ‘diamond back tactical’ range.
Mine does hold zero very well for a set and forget scope.

Here is a recent Vid from 8541 on the Mil Vs MOA and FFP Vs SFP.

sungazer
9d
“The Mil’s is what I am now finding a little harder to keep straight in my head. shooting and getting used to adjusting turrets in 1/8 or 1/4 MOA has become more instinctive At least on the range. When hunting you dont often get a second opportunity to adjust aim or turrets if you miss. But I do like using the hash mark retical in the FFP and thinking ok that is 10 cm out or using the hash marks to gauge the distance between objects at the same distance. I will use a range finder if I want to know the distance trying to use it to work out distance would be a bit to mathematical without a lot of practice.”

Instead of all that farting around and juggling math in your head, before the best antlered deer you’ve ever seen disappears, did you ever consider a Burris Eliminator?

I did and I am glad I never went with one. I got to use a friends and seeing that little dot was really hard.

if I am using say my 308 its no problem use the range finder to get the distance and I know the drops by heart for my gun from 100 yrds to 1000yrds.

If I am using another gun and a new load, I will stick the chrono on get the speed and use JBM then I will pint out a drop and windage chart. Normally I will pick 300-400 yrds as the maximum range and use 20 yrd intervals. I use the Inspect element in firefox to delete information in the table that is not needed. I just want the Bullet type weight and speed and the drop table stick it in my back pocket good to go. I should make a little plastic holder that would fir the but to carry the dope sheet.