What I did in guns this week.

Well done Dan, good shooting mate!

good? great!

Thanks fellas, I was pleased with my results as the wind was giving us a bit of curry all day.
Not me in the pic but, who said “black-powder rifles don’t recoil much, it’s more of a push”?

4 Likes

Didn’t get any photos but I went to a qualifying shoot for Conservation Australia

The 223 was suprisingly close to zero at 100 yards , which is impressive since I’d only put 20 rounds through it at maybe 25m previously

I thought I’d got pretty strong at the gym but shooting the Lithgow unsupported without a sling was a nightmare - just scraped in a pass.

Lots more practice needed but I’m field endorsed now.

2 Likes

Found a photo of yours truly, the target is a black diamond out at 300 yards adjacent to the wind flag on the rhs of pic.( click on the photo, it gets slightly bigger, the target is the black thing on the ground to the left of the flag.)

5 Likes

Shootin, Tex! :nerd_face::+1:

Just finished up at the 3P & FR nationals. Fun weekend out catching up the usual suspects. Even did some shooting between drinking and talking shit.

1 Like

Still legal in WA?

For now, rumour is clubs will be last in the list.

When can we expect you here?

I’ll have to do a visit first, to see if it really is the utopia you say it is. :thinking:

2 Likes

Do it.

1 Like

You’re always welcome at my place mate!

1 Like

Missed out on the trip to W.A for the Silhouette Nationals due to my 16y/o son deciding that he didn’t need to use the front wheel of his motorbike. Helicopter ride to hospital and surgery to repair his ankle put an end to those plans.
Went to the B.R.A.A. "Quigley’ shoot over the weekend. The weather held off and we had reasonable conditions for shooting. A fluctuating right to left wind of 5 -10 minutes was manageable for most and a mirage that behaved itself. With only 10 of our 30+ members making an appearance it was a bit “boutiquey” but still a great match.
Our targets are the same size/shape/distance as the big Quigley Match in Montana which attracts around 5-600 shooters annually. The shooting is all done with single shot black powder cartridge rifles of the late 1800’s, (or modern reproductions thereof), shooting cast lead bullets and using iron sights. The targets are:

1. Buffalo @ 800 yds
  2. Stop sign/octagon @ 600 yds ( I think it’s about 3 ft )
  3. 28 x 32” rectangle @ 530 yds
  4. 2’ diamond. @ 405 yds
  5. 22 x 28” rectangle @ 417 yds
  6. 28 x 22 x 32” bucket @ 350 yds. Off hand.

There’s a sighting period before the match but no sighters during it. 8 shots for score on each target. Despite a slow start at 800, I managed to hold on for the win using my C.P.A Stevens in .45-90.
Our eldest son came along and shot, (he hasn’t done so for a number of years) and managed a credible 5th place using my .40-70 Sharps. He was level pegging me but I had to do some R.O duties and was unable to spot for him for the 417 and 405 yard targets. The 405 “diamond” is a rather tricky target, being a bit off in your windage or elevation puts shots just off the target where the corners would be on a square target.
Once again, the off-hand target proved the downfall of a few at 350 yards.

Name 805B 600 530 417 405 350 Total
Dan 8 6 6 39
Shayne 5 5 37
Gavin 5 6 0 32
Mark G 4 8 5 6 0 30
Brody 5 1 2 26
Paul 2 7 5 0 2 24
Jim 6 2 5 0 0 21
Gary B 6 3 2 0 0 14
Kellie 3 0 0 0 DNS 5
Brad 0 2 0 0 0 1 3
5 Likes

Ive tried the one wheel thing…its a bitch when you hit 4 powerband! I got off it, a bit lighter than your son though!

Good shooting mate!
I hope your boy heals up ok.

My NSW R License got approved today, look out Bambi I’m a comin for you soon!

4 Likes

I went for a solo practice shoot tonight. Had the range to myself. Very relaxing.
Getting more comfortable with the S2O

40 shots , slow fire at 15m
10 rapid which opened up the group a bit.

Now that training is completed and I have my own pistol, really starting to feel more at home and relaxed on the range. Starting to feel like “my” club.

7 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: My hunting trip.

Loaded some of the rocking horse shit I have!!!

3 Likes