What I did in guns this week.

Oh i wouldnt go near that powder. Thanks for the tip

Yeah, she’s puuuuurty now.

4 Likes

New mounts??

yep, just a mount. As much as I love this rifle, the design (of tactical model) is just messed up when cleaning is involved. detachable mount makes it palatable.

2 Likes

I know it’s not Sunday but,…
Inherited this from a mate who passed away a few years ago. ( It went missing but resurfaced a couple of weeks ago. ) Parker Hale built 1861 Enfield 58 cal Musketoon Officers model. Came with mold, tools, jags, powder flask and oil bottle all in a nice oak case.

This is what 560 grains of pure lead Minnie looks like. ( .44 Mag case for comparison. )

Plan on taking it to the Australian Muzzle-loading Championships at Easter if my back allows. ( Currently suffering from a burst disc )

8 Likes

That is a very nice piece of kit. Just a pity you had to come by it at the death of a friend.

Wow your so lucky @danmac! Treasure that! I wouldnt mind an 1858 Enfield, as that was the year my great grandfather arrived here from the UK…Left there on a boat in November 1857, arrived here January 58.

Yeah, my mate passed away 6 years ago, ( Fucking cancer ), his brother grabbed all of his firearms and left them in a shed with a leaky roof. A month ago this bloke finally admitted that he had them despite the fact he was unlicensed, and surrendered them to a local dealer under the amnesty. My mates widow then contacted each of us who had been listed in his will and we went through the process of legally acquiring them.
One of the safes was left lying on its back under a leak and wound up with 4 inches of water inside. Totally stuffed a bunch of guns, I have an unfired 1895 CL Marlin in .218Bee that is rusted shut from being under water in the safe. The Enfield has some damage, mostly cosmetic, but I cleaned it up and it is now usable. Anyone have a tried and true method to unseize a rusted shut lever-gun?

I had one the same pretty much . I took all wood off . And soaked in diesel for a couple of days and it made it free enough to be able to disassemble

No good…

Finally put some rounds down range with this on Sunday. Only to 1000m as we had some targets set up for the CM.

1 Like

Only to 1000 because of the CM does that mean you would have gone a bit longer range if you were shooting a 308? :rofl:

This week rather than say what I did (which is sweet FA) I am going to say what I intend to do in the hope that I follow thru and get my ass into gear.
The plan is to chrono the factory 44-40 rounds I have that are all lead and then make a load using some semi jacketed projies I have that are a little bit fatter in the hope to get a better shooting group.

3 Likes

Only a 1000m…hmmm…

It is a 300 Norma mag we got put together for mile targets. 1000m on a .5m plate isn’t actually that difficult once you have the appropriate gear.

We had the target at 1015m for MV truing on the Creedmoor. You need to do it on the edge of the supersonic range. You then do your DSF in the transonic range which is 1437m.

3 Likes

Attended the Lever gun silhouette Nationals over the weekend. Was just out of the placings in the three events but finished top ten overall, happy with that. Followed with the BPCR silhouette Nationals on Anzac Day, finished second, not happy with that…

Here’s a photo of the 200m range setting up for the rifle event, chickens at 50m, pigs at 100m, turkeys at 150m and rams at 200m. All shot standing off-hand, unsupported with iron sights.

For the BPCR we shoot on the 500m range, we have to shoot the 300m pig targets off an elevated bench as they can’t be seen from the ground due to the 100m mound. You can see them in the photo, ( white things on right-hand edge ), with the 385m turkeys and 500m rams as well. Chickens are shot off-hand at 200m and are a bitch, I was in front until then.

7 Likes

If anyone is wondering where @danmac is in the photo, here’s right there (red arrow)

…about to qualify for all 10 places lol

2 Likes

Well, I am just sort of just under the arrow, @juststarting obviously draws arrows as accurately as he shoots…

1 Like

Takes one to know one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had an ANZAC day PRS shoot with some veterans and industry guys. Great fun, awesome stories and not much sleep.

Shooting 90deg cant rifle.

Rusty old international cab, a shot of tetanus each round

3 Likes

That old Inter would make a great rat-rod.

1 Like