What I did in guns this week.

I was shooting 22s at 50m. Some with x4 scopes which is enough to take aim at something like 5c, although something like 20c is a lot easier with a biggish reticle. Some scopes with x9 magnification and one rifle with a red dot. Amazing how expectation and perception of ‘a good shot’ and accuracy changes between available sights. From, ooo I can hit that 5c piece to, freak I’d be happy with hitting a ping-pong ball with this dot. Not exactly, little smaller than a ping-pong ball, but night and day mental adjustment.

I shot the chickens ducks and goats thingy.

I touched some brass inappropriately…

1 Like

And loved it :innocent:

1 Like

Wasn’t Sunday but I just got back from the park of eagles. Only did a measly 300 rounds.

I’ve got that warm fuzzy feeling again

Now I’m taking the roady out for a thrash

Freeeeeedom :blush:

1 Like

Now if I can just swindle the missus for a shag…

I’ll have the weekend trifecta :rofl: :rofl:

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Shooting 3P rimfire with the CZ.

2 Likes

How did you make the scope levitate like that?

1 Like

Magic, isn’t that obvious🙄

2 Likes

My mate bought a 338WM Tikka and so he brought it over with his mate who bought a 375H&H Kodiak as well as a so we had an “introduction to reloading” sesh for the new fella. I even tidied the bench.

The Kodiak is Sako’s African/Alaskan/Guide gun. It feels and sounds like a Tikka but has a three lug bolt and a blind mag. Its iron sight are big and easy to use, nice than the equivalent Ruger and its action/stock pins are very chunky. Cool gun.

6 Likes

Well, time to spruce this up ay… what did I do… I was a bad-good influence and made @Supaduke buy 2 guns (you’ve seen one in the 22 thread). He had his vengeance and made me buy a gun. Not to be outdone of course I bought another one to even out the numbers. You now, celebrate purchase of one with another :slight_smile: More on that when I actually get the freaking PTA.

I dusted off my reloading gear and cranked out a bucket of ammo and then made some 7.62x25 rounds with new HRBC bullets to test out.

Also, while on a roll I felt like maybe I do need a 22WMR to plug the gap, but there’s just nothing out there in that archaic caliber that tickles my fancy in the right kind of way.

2 Likes

Took these three out.

6.5 Creedmoor
I tested some primers. CCI BR4 against my usual Rem 7 1/2 BR. No real difference. 10 round groups of each. SD’s CCI 9.7, Rem 8.0. Velocity practically the same.

300 WSM
Wanted to see the diff of the 208 LRHT seated to mag length. I’m guessing my recoil management was shitty with my normal long rounds.

Lithgow
Zeroed the thermal. Not just good, but good enough. :ok_hand:

5 Likes

@Gregfiddich is that sound deflection thing over the brake on your rifle (very right)? And does it work? I had one on a 22 and I found that it’s a bit louder than without. I was shooting between cement walls however at 50m so I may have been getting sound bouncing back though. Thoughts?

Yeah, it’s tight. It’s a gemtech using their quick release so no thread. (Edit: i read you question wrong, right is close enough to tight :rofl:)

Bit less concussion with it on than just the brake, maybe a touch more recoil but bugger all to start with.

I actually got it to try and minimise the flame washing out my thermal. Every shot my screen would go solid from the :fire: so this directs it forward. Still does it :unamused:

If anyone has a 58gn 243 load that doesn’t spit hell fire or would be appreciated.

Been a while since i have posted in here… covid has really squashed anything shooting related for me.

Recently built a home made bench and wanted to mount my two lee pro1000’s on it… but soon realised that they would take up to much real estate…

Came up with a quickish release mounting solution.

I have mounted the press on timber panels

Drilling two holes in the bench top i pressed in blind nuts or tee nuts.

Using star handle bolts i can screw down the press to use and then when done remove the press easily and have the work space without the press in the wasy…

Now i just need pistol powder! Fast running out of bullseye lol

6 Likes

I did a similar thing with my shotgun press by mounting it to a block of wood that i can clamp in the vice.

1 Like

I’ve been using the Lee mounting plate arrangement for quite a few years now. Works well for the single stage press and lube-sizer but the progressive press becomes loose in the clamps. I just use a g-clamp as well on it, problem solved. It frees up the bench for doing a tear down on a rifle or any other job that I need extra room for. You can also just clamp stuff straight to the bench via the ply bases.

1 Like

Neat simple solution, I like it!

Whatever you do, stay well away from this “50/50” crap that some dodgy manufacturer has released onto the market. Its a mix of two powders, one for a 20mm shell and the other for some other military munition. Its half flake, half spherical ball and meters like crap and everyone who bought some to try at our range hates it.

1 Like

Pretty much what I do, hardwood or ply base and clamps or bolts, depending where I need it on the bench.

1 Like

I love that solution!!

1 Like