What I did in guns this week.

If the world ever seriously goes south , I want you on my team. Very good mate, have enjoyed following your primitive hunting skills.

2 Likes

Don’t know man, pretty hard to put down a carnivorous elephant with a spear after nuclear winter.

How else am I supposed to enforce my new democracy, if not at the end of a spear. Oh yeah, I’m gunna democratise the hell outta you.

1 Like

Had a good weekend at Hill End over Easter. Won both 500 yard events. Shot a 46/50 with my CPA .45-90 in the cartridge rifle event, then bettered that with a 48/50 with my Gibbs .45 muzzle-loader.
Did okay the day before in the 3 position @ 100 yards, the Gibbs is not the right gun for that event but , hell, it’s the only front-stuffer I’ve got.
Weather was great, people were great, shooting was good, even sold one of my knives I’ve been making ! ( The small Bowie , second from bottom ) :smiley:

Dan firing the Gibbs @ 500

10 Likes

Well done, always nice to come home with a win. It means your doing something right or more importantly that you did nothing wrong and any mistake you made was not a big one. :+1: :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks mate. I made a couple of mistakes, obviously, just pulling the trigger when the sight picture wasn’t perfect. They don’t score “V-bulls” so no idea of a comparable score to what I shot at Bisley.
My Aussie team mate actually shot a new 500 yard world record there with a 48.5, so who knows?

2 Likes

Good work mate.
Are you forging the knives from scratch? They look great.

@danmac what scopes do you have on them?

yes, yes, tongue firmly in cheek.

Yeah JS, hope you bite it in half, the nerve of some people!!!
@bentaz , making them from 1084 flat bar, stock removal method, half were hand filed, rest ground on a 72" belt grinder. I have an endless supply of Buloke trees on the place so it is becoming my preferred handle material. Just playing with blade designs and handles. Also like enhancing the tempering colours and leaving them rather than having a polished finish.
I haven’t finished the blacksmith shop yet but plan on forging blades as well when I do.

3 Likes

Good stuff mate, I don’t know how you find time for everything you do.

Peep sights, offer more aiming precision than a scope ever will, when aiming at a full black bullseye target, in my experience

Well done! Thst looks like awesome fun! 500 yds was a great range in my old fullbore days!

I shot 90 rounds of Service Pistol and only had three away. And they wouldnt have been away probably, because they are in my pocket :frowning:

Pretty bad weather for shooting this weekend, even for me.

I don’t know, the weather here is great. Just have to aim at the RH edge of the target and then let the wind blow the projectile across to the centre.

Should have taken the 22 and see how it went.

1 Like

I went for a quick shoot at the pistol range to blow the dust off a couple of things, myself included. Today i spent a few hours giving the gun bench a long overdue tidy up, it looked like a grenade went off on it and now it looks like it suffers from OCD, but it won’t be too long before it finds a happy medium again lol.

1 Like

I competed in the Military Rifle State Championships over the weekend. Saw @MaxJon there, he had a shoot too and was kind enough to do some RO duties.
I managed to pick up Two golds in C grade, 3P and 300m Deliberate. (I didn’t choose the grade, that’s where they put me) and was just pipped in the mad minute comp and came second.
Overall I came 8th out of about 50 or so in the overall competition.
Great weekend away, lots of different guns and very good company.

Ended up buying a nice little Lithgow for $50.
Some very talented shooters showed up for the comp. The weather was passable on Thursday and Friday, absolutely atrocious on Saturday and Sunday

10 Likes

Glad you had fun mate! I should have shot my Swede…I just didnt have the ammo loaded…

1 Like

Went out hunting with my fiancé. Found some pretty heavily thrashed trees,and the starts of a good winters crop of saffron milk caps and slippery jacks.

2 Likes