What I did in guns this week.

Took the 358w and the 35 whelen out for a bang today,seems the 358w likes it’s new load and just seems to be getting more accurate

3 Likes

Nice, but what do you have against recycling?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Finally got to go to a match!!!
Shot long rang BPCR at Cooyal near Mudgee NSW over the weekend.
300 yards off-hand, then 500, 700 and 900. Good roll-up, we had 12 shooters and a couple of blokes came along for a look at what we do. Conditions were a bit dodgy, cold wind from the right, ( I had anywhere up to 8 minutes wound on at times ), and shadows coming and going with the clouds causing problems with being able to see the target.
I shot okay, bit rusty and had a bit of trouble with sight picture at 900 yards. A bare spot on the ground looked like the aiming spot on the buffalo target so I actually shot it twice!!! Iron sights at 900 in so-so light conditions are not very forgiving, also really having trouble with my right eye at the moment.
That aside, I won the weekend with a 9 @ 300, 10 ( possible ) @ 500, 8 @ 700 and only a 6 @ 900.
It was just really good to get away, turn powder into smoke and launch lead.

4 Likes

You’re a beast!

@Supaduke, just noticed your post about your lever-gun and .38 special.
Problems have been encountered by some folks that I shoot with getting a build up in the chamber that then gives problems getting .357 mag rounds to chamber, they jam. Can’t give any more info than that, I don’t have a lever-gun in that chambering so don’t have the problem.
I know that when I run the .22 liner in my BPCR rifles, I have to give the bores a really thorough clean to get rid of a build up that occurs at the end of the liner. ( It’s shorter than the barrels ) Depending on how many rounds I fire, it can be an absolute pain in the arse to get rid of, it cooks on hard.
Can only imagine firing .38 specials would do something similar to a .357mag chamber.

Mine is more an issue with the feed ramp and lifter. The .38 special cases are not presented at the correct angle and the case mouth snags on the feed ramp. Forces you to slightly double pump the lever to get it to feed, failing that working the lever with a bit more vigor will force it over but it’s notchy.

The lifters and feed rails in '92 Winchesters, ( and '94’s for that matter ), are case specific. If it’s designed to take .357mag, they are set up for that cartridge length. Running a shorter cartridge will invariably lead to cycling problems. Just download the .357 if you want less bang.

I gave up on .38 special after one box. Only runs mag cases now, and cycles perfectly.

1 Like

My Aimpoint H2 arrived today so i went in & grabbed it. Now just waiting for the thing to stick it on…

1 Like

@JSS, me too

Great shooting, 900 with open sight, holy smoke

1 Like

Hopefully not too much longer now mate. I’ve heard some cool little add-ons are on their way for them too. :grinning:

Took the hawken hunting. Grazed a rabbit at 50m in poor light.

4 Likes

Dug it a new burrow, though! :laughing:

Black powder looks really cool.

Is it true that cleaning it can be awful if you don’t do it asap and let it sit?

Nope. Still just hot water,a scrub,then an oil. Mind you,I’ve only ever let one sit 2 or 3 days at the most

I’d rather clean a blackpowder rifle any day compared to my smokeless centrefires.
68 rounds through my .45-90 last weekend, 6 patches used when I got home, she’s clean as a whistle.
Admittedly I patch after every shot.
Run 60 rounds through my 6.5 sillywet rifle, lucky to get it clean with 50 patches, ( that’s after using a dozen or more mid-match ), then put it away, get it out a week later and use another 20 or so, fuck I hate copper…
As we say, " smokeless powder is just a passing fad…"

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Played with my flintlock at work today.

8 Likes

Nice :+1:t2: