The big fat COVID-19 thread.

And he is the hipster god. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :angel: :angel:

1 Like

Not sure what army said it but it went something like. You dont want us to do that we dont use appropriate force. We use complete force, warning shots are not given we are trained to kill.

It may be a little bit different in today’s PC wars but it is true they are not a police force they are not trained to restrain people they are trained to incapacitate people. They were never designed to operate on their own population.

It is also against our constitution to have them deployed against us!

3 Likes

The Victorian rules- https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-stay-home-directions-frequently-asked-questions#is-this-compulsory-or-voluntary

1 Like

Can we all just spare a thought for the Gestapo officers manning the USSWA checkpoints in 39° heat today. :sleepy:

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: COVID-19 conspiracy theories

Well bugged in here I needed a bit of therapy today so put the A22 back together and had a nice plink session with some rapid fire going quite well. All shot off hand as that is what I need more practice at and is more fun really.

Then I thought I needed a bigger bang so brought out the 7615 for some rapid fire plinking as well. Then for shits and giggles I went for the fire from hip position at a 20L tin drum. Dead centre hits were a bit of a surprise really as good as using it with the scope.

Perhaps later in the week I will do some real exercise and go for a walk with the rug rat to try and expend a bit of her energy and maybe paint the bathroom to keep the other half off my back.

3 Likes

I bugged out to Bunnings and bought some pipe fittings and have mocked up the prefilter for my cod pond.
It was a nice day to be out stuffing around in the yard :grin:

Just had a bad thought about this virus and other viruses who’s to say this wouldn’t be a reoccurring thing annually with the way we let people travel from country to country I reckon the government has to come up with some way to keep this type of thing at bay with more tighter restrictions on people coming into Australia maybe like a medical before travelling and a check on arrival probably not ideal but at least it may stall some viruses

Yep, we definitely need to screen every incoming person into Australia for unknown deceases. It’s impossible.

Yeah just a thought :neutral_face:

1 Like

It’s VERY hard to develop a playbook for a one in a hundred year event. It’s hard because we have no experience in dealing with it. Now, there are lessons. So, I am sure there will be better plans…

Well a hundred or a little more than that now we did in fact quarantine people for a period before they were allowed into Australia. We went to the lengths of even burning all the clothes that they came in.

The place Victoria quarantined people is just inside the heads at Portsea. Its called the Quarantine Station its still there. It was so busy that there were ships tied up to the dock and people had to live on the ships. I have been diving off there a tricky dive it gets really deep right next to the shore and the current is really strong. Its a dive done looking for artifacts and you need to be tied together on a rope with a Buoy.

1 Like

Yes, however, travel then was a tiny little fraction of what it is now, by volume and frequency. Back then, finding a parking spot was pretty easy too (for your horse).

Taiwan seem to have managed it pretty well, similar population to us and all crammed in on top of each other (perfect for spreading viruses) and they have less than 400 cases and only 7 deaths as of yesterday. They’ve been practicing and preparing for this since sars (because they got hit hard). And most importantly have openly said their fast reaction is because they don’t trust China or any info or data they release to the rest of the world, so they shut their boarders down and went into prevention mode as soon as they heard the first rumours back in December.
They also made some very ballsy comments telling the west to wake up and stop trusting China. A couple of interesting articles out there about it.

2 Likes

Yep. A number of countries are applying lessons learned over the past 2 decades from previous viral outbreaks. Too bad the rest of us didn’t stop to see how they were affected and what mechanisms they put in place for future events…
Too busy sitting back thinking “it will never happen here”…

Idk, Australia has done a bloody good job compared to a lot of European countries and the USA, many developing countries are just going to be fucked.

With the exception of “early adopters” and the glorious US of A, we’ve done a job. Compared to many other EU countries (with some exceptions) - that have open borders or no borders. Apartment living and huge overall density… Pound for pound so to speak, we’ve done about as well as anyone else.

Developing countries, yeah, that’s going to be hit hard, unfortunately.

Someone please post an Australia/Asian one if they find it.

I am pretty sure I covered this… No? Tiny land mass, no borders, apartment living = huuuge density.

This is not apples and apples.

2 Likes