Show us your milsurp rifles

Little one without the stabby bit, mate.

Yup I’ll buy it if you wanna part with it.

I’ve sold mine. The other one stays!

1 Like

Are you looking for some quality Communist firearms history at a fraction of the price of a Soviet option? Why not invest in a Chinese Type 53!?
Looking like it was wrapped in barbed wire, dragged behind a truck and buried in a jungle (because it was), this rifle is simply covered in rustic charm and it can be yours for only a few hundred dollars!

(I’m doing this to avoid marking essays. Oh god make it stop).

I could be very tempted by one of those type 53’s, I’m typing this in the carpark instead of going into class.

1 Like

If you get anything but Russian made, I’m not giving you any real milsurp ammo!

If you are interested in the 53s, make sure you call or email Owen’s in QLD. Their website is useless and out of date. The one I ended up with wasn’t actually on there at all.

Racist!

Mosin snob. Lol

Russians make things, then the Finn’s make them better.
Mosins
AKs
SMG’s
Etc.

1 Like

It’s not about better. Cheap modern rifles are better. It’s about authenticity.

While we’re on the subject of the Mosin 3 Line, the original Soviet era sight tool and action gauge, as well as the Field Armourers bore and chamber gauges with extractor clearance gau

ge.

4 Likes

That is damn cool. May I ask if there is anywhere in particular you find stuff like this? Or is it just knowing what you’re looking for plus time and patience?

I’m now looking for Type 53 specific accessories. I’ve found the oil bottle with Chinese characters but the cleaning kit and webbing seems almost non-existant.

Realised that I had not updated this for quite a while so, here we go.

Chinese Type 53, the Chinese M44. This example was manufactured in 1953 as a part of the test run of rifles after the USSR gifted the tooling to China. All matching except for the bolt. Still has its woven cloth sling from its time with the people’s militia. Missing it’s bayonet and has had the bolt turned down.

Made another detailed post on this one and my cleaning of it.

1916 BSA SMLE. Made for WWI, reissued in 1941, refurbished in 1946 and then sent to the cadets, still has traces of green paint on the wrist. Came with an original sling which has been blacked. Have heard that cadets did this with boot polish.

1940 Carcano Cavalry Carbine made by Beretta. All original but in pretty rough condition. I need to clean it up and see where I’m at. I am hopeful it’ll get fired one day.

91/30 Mosin Nagant, made at the Ishevsk Arsenal in 1943. All original and all matching, including the bolt. Has been arsenal refurbished at some point. The finish on the stock is looking pretty crappy. US import markings on the receiver. Shoots like a champ.

1933 Turkish Mauser. Sold to me for $100 after it was surrendered at my local gun shop. I’ve not fired it and I’m not sure if I ever will. It needs a deep clean and then a check by a gunsmith. Will be a future project and we’ll see what happens.

1 Like

Shoot it clean! And no I’m not joking…

If @bentaz is nice enough to make some low pressure TB round for you and if you clean the chamber, bore and bolt face - you could test it with primed case. And of that’s a go, TB loaded round.

Action will be fine, they are built like a tank. Case may crack or have a pressure ring and that will tell you if the headspace is off, but I doubt that it will be.

P.s. Shooting will clean it after that. As long as there are no bore obstructions.

If it’s in 8x57 then for sure I can load up some light TB / cast loads.

Turkish Mauser… 8x57 (or it will be lmao)

That’s actually a really good idea. I hadn’t thought of that. The bore is clear and still has rifling. Just need to give it a scrub.