Show us your 22s

I realise I’m replying to an old post but thought the info might be useful anyway - according to my Standard Catalogue of Winchester Firearms, The “Extra Long” stamping was added in 1914 and replaced with a “.22LR” stamping in 1927, so this rifle would have been made in that period between 1914 and 1927.

The proof marks Winchester used at the time don’t involve anything date specific so there’s basically no way to date the rifle more specifically, from what I understand.

Actually, the .22 Extra-long is a specific cartridge. The case is longer than .22LR and held 1 extra grain of blackpowder, 6gr, compared to the .22 Long cartridge which was loaded with only 5 gr of blackpowder. My references say the it was chambered in the Model 04 from 1916. It had the same velocity as a modern standard velocity .22 round. It will not chamber in a .22LR chamber but the .22LR will chamber in a .22 Extra-long chamber. You should never use modern Hyper-velocity .22 ammo in rifles chambered fo Extra-long.

Well, my chassis had finally arrived!

From this

To this!

99% there. Just one more accessory and it’ll be done :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I like that.

1 Like

That does look good, but then it was already pretty sexy beforehand.

Thats scary looking…Does shoot well?.

It shoots very well considering I only use a red dot on it.

1 Like

Ok, so not new…

But just installed new trigger spring

I say I hate stripping trigger groups, but I think I enjoy it in a bondage kind of way.

Noticeable improvement.

1 Like

For that level of risk the reward should have been big. Well deserved. Trigger mechs seem to be on a level with watches when it comes to small fiddly parts.

1 Like