Say hello and introduce yourself :)

Welcome aboard, mate. Make yourself at home.

Tell us a bit about yourself :slight_smile:

I live in the Newcastle area and am approaching retirement so I’m looking to dedicate more time to shooting. I have been shooting most of my life but want to focus a little more on longer range stuff as I have had very little to do telescopic sights. Happy to get any tips as a newbie in this discipline.

Chairborne

Oh boy you just made some real friends :slight_smile: @Gregfiddich @sungazer .

1 Like

Good to know :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome aboard, I like to waste bullets shooting steel from as far away as i can and happy to chat about that.

G’day Gregfiddich,
Longer range shooting has interested me for a while now I just haven’t done anything about. I have a goal in mind, to be able to consistently hit an appropriately sized target at 1000m. Of course I will need to put rifle together to do this - I am thinking 6.5CM. Happy to hear your thoughts.

Thnx
Chairborne

If you mean like an ipsc target then a 6.5 will do it every day.

Welcome aboard it was my bedtime when you posted hence my morning reply. Im more of a shoot for score guy at paper from 300-1000 yrd in mainly comps. Happy to help you along your way. If your starting out it is a good idea to get out and about and see what how others are shooting in what you think you may like to do. See what rifles they are using before making any decisions.

Gday @Chairborne welcome to the site mate.

Thanks bentaz

Thanks sungazer,
I have shot plenty of paper over the years on various ranges but almost exclusively with iron sights and all my shooting in past few years has been rabbits and foxes. I’m in no rush but I do want to work on longer range stuff - I am not as mobile as I used to be :slightly_smiling_face:.
Chairborne

Yeah unfortunately old age happens to all of us and some get knocked around by it more than others. Good thing about shooting is that even the oldest and infirmed can still participate most of the time. I have been on the range with 90+ year olds who roll up in wheel chairs guys pitch in in and help them set up and away they go. It is often the mind going that ends their hobby as safety is always paramount.

Hey @Chairborne, if you want to shoot long range “properly”, get yourself a Sharps and come join us at the Buffalo Rifle Association of Australia. We don’t need none of that telescopic sights, smokeless powder, jacketed bullets and such. (Just passing fads anyway)
Black-powder and lead gets out to 1000 yards no worries. :grin:

2 Likes

God damn, it’s happening again. Whichever one of you took @danmac’s meds, again, plese return them. We won’t ask any questions.

Truth is though he may be shooting well past any of us when technology breaks down. :smiley: But until then :poop:

You blokes are just jealous. Nothing better than waiting 6 seconds for the resounding clang from the steel target after you fire your shot. :wink:

Dont forget the two seconds from when you pull the trigger until the smoke comes out the barrel and lets the bullet out.

1 Like

Not with a BPCR, it’s as instantaneous as any centrefire round.
Also, apparently there’s no recoil…(not me)

Ha :blush:,
Thanks for the invite, maybe after I get the first goal of of the way and I want to make it harder for myself.
Chairborne.

@Q_Q welcome to the forum by the way. Where are you from, tell us a bit about yourself.