Finally got my license... How should I kit out the 0.22 and 12 gauge?

Most of us are too far down to try to turn back lol

Have you fired a Glock before?
Not saying not to get one but they have the worst trigger than anything else around. I would recommend trying one first if you haven’t already.

If the Glock 9mm is no good cz shadow has been suggested

This world is worse than playing with cars!

When playing with cars you generally just have one or two!

2 Likes

It’s sort of like saying, if this Hyuandai is not available, I will get that Ferrari. Glock and (I assume you are talking about) Shadow 2 (or a variant) are not in the same ball park, they are not on the same planet. In quality and unfortunately the price. Perhaps take a look at Sig or if you can stretch it, Cz… Maybe something in the modern Beretta 92 series.

A Glock is like the old banged up car, really shit but fun because it is so shit. This is coming from a soon to be G17A owner. Wouldn’t use it to shoot if you are trying to win any comps though, the CZ or tanfog are the way to go for those.

I think I’ll just see what comes up on the second hand market. My club lets you apply for one handgun every six months or two every 12 months so the 686 will be first cab off the rank. I might see if they swing me a favour since I’m buying the 22 and the 686 off another member.

Yesterday I did a little happy dance - the Marlin and Lithgow should be home in the next week :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mullmans is that 1 Cat H in the first 6 months (which is typical) or 1 every 6 months for ever based on club rules?

The way I read it was you could either apply at six months and get one or wait 12 and get two

After that it’s 2 per year

First 6 months, at least in Vic is the law, nothing to do with the club. After that, not really… I don’t get why clubs try to over regulate, so stupid.

… it’s not like there’s a lack of regulations already

1 Like

Guessing WA? …WA, where even gun clubs are anti-gun :rofl:

1 Like

It must be a club rule because the WA Firearms Regulations states that;

(2) An approval or permit may be granted, and a licence may be issued, to
a person under subclause (1)(a) only if —
(a) the person has been a member of an approved shooting club
for at least 6 months; and
(b) if the person has been a member of an approved shooting club
for less than 12 months, the approval, permit or licence does
not apply to more than 2 handguns being either —
(i) one .177 air pistol and one .22 calibre handgun; or
(ii) one .177 air pistol and one centre fire handgun;
and
© the person has satisfactorily completed an approved firearm
safety training course while being a member of the shooting
club.

And the W.A.P.A regulations say pretty much the same;

A Member of a Club may make application to the Committee of his/her Club for support to Licence Handguns
subject to the following conditions:
a) The Member has been a financial member of a Club for at least 6 months.
b) If the Member has been a member of a Club for less than 12 months the application/applications shall
not exceed two Handguns being either:
i one 0.177 air pistol and one 0.22 calibre handgun or
ii one 0.177 air pistol and one centre fire handgun and
c) If the application is for a first handgun the Member has satisfactorily completed the Firearms Safety
Training Course set out in these Regulations.
Adopted 31 October 2003. Amended 11 May 2007, 6 March 2009, 13 August 2010, 11 June 2018. 2
d) The applicant intends to comply with Club activity requirements.
Subject to meeting the above requirements, the Club Committee may issue to the applicant a completed
Form 101 or equivalent Club Support Letter signed by the Club Secretary. Applications may be rejected at
the discretion of the Club Committee.

So to break it down, after meeting the club requirements for number of shoots in the 6 month period then you can apply for 2 pistols, 1 x .22 and 1 x air pistol OR 1 x centerfire and 1 x air pistol. After 12 months knock yourself out and buy as many as you like HOWEVER you must assign them to a discipline IE:

The West Australian Pistol Association recognises the following Shooting Disciplines:
a) ISSF Discipline Matches
10m Air Pistol
Standard Pistol
25m Rapid Fire Pistol
25m Pistol
25m Centre Fire Pistol
50m Pistol

WSPS Pistol Matches
b) Pistol Australia Discipline Matches
Service Pistol (service/unrestricted/25yd)
World Association 1500 Matches
NRA Action Pistol
Black Powder Matches (50m/25m/International)
Adopted 31 October 2003. Amended 11 May 2007, 6 March 2009, 13 August 2010, 11 June 2018. 3

c) Single Action Discipline Matches
Centre Fire Match
Black Powder Aggregate Match (shot to BP25m rules)
25 Yard Match (Shot to modified service 25 yd rules)

d) IMSSU Discipline Matches
Big Bore Pistol
Small Bore Pistol
Field Pistol

Additional matches, which may be recognised from time to time, will be allocated to one of the four
Disciplines above.

The WAPA regulations are found here;

WEST AUSTRALIAN PISTOL ASSOCIATION (Inc) (cf-pc.com)

The WA Firearms Regulations are here;

Western Australian Legislation - Firearms Regulations 1974

And the WA Firearms Act is here;

Western Australian Legislation - Firearms Act 1973

Oh by the way, Congratulation on getting approval for your Marlin and Lithgow. I know the pain of waiting for the approval to arrive.

1 Like

Awesome post! Thanks for that Fatman. I know of some clubs that make you buy an air pistol first but the president already said he’d support the 686.

Yes the club is pretty excessively regulated. Despite having a firearms licence I had to sign two stat decs in August before shooting air pistol for four matches then wait for the monthly safety course in October plus three more live fire matches then apply for provisional membership, wait for monthly meeting, then had to take six weeks off due to a sick child finally got my provisional in December etc etc

But I can start doing rifle matches now which is one of the reasons I picked the club!

By may or probably July by the time it’s all approved I will have been shooting the club 22s for nearly a year or something so definately going the 686 first for Mandar matches.

Fortunately the Marlin means I can purchase 357 and 38sp so if the seller brings my 686 along I should be able to start shooting it in a couple of weeks!

:partying_face:

The buckmark can wait. I’ll have to think carefully about what discipline I assign that to.

2 Likes

Every Adler needs a green laser, It makes shooting from the hip a breeze.

Also a 9 shot tube would be handy

1 Like

7+1 is plenty :slight_smile:

Don’t go there @Mullmans lol

I did, it was an expensive uneccessary upgrade! 3-4 shells and there isn’t much left to shoot!

Did see a WA bloke had imported a 25 round drum for the b230. Can’t imagine lugging that around :joy:

Yeah can’t see that being much fun unless you are on the back of the ute, even then it will be heavy lol

Approved on Monday

Still nothing in the mail… Can’t collect on Saturday arvo like I had planned.

God I hate this system!!

1 Like

You can if you want to be sneaky.
Go to your local cop shop and tell them that you left your wallet in you jeans and it went through the washing machine and your licence is ruined. Then say that you have a shoot to go to and need a copy of your licence so you can carry your guns to the range. They will most times print out one for you and you will have to pay a small fee.

90% of the time this will work. You just have to push the point that you need it incase you are stopped and if you don’t have it you will be breaking the law.