CZ 515 lever release 22LR (reviews)

Some places organise contactless “click and collect” if all paperwork is 100% sorted. You can’t visit a shop, in a sense of actually going in and visiting a shop.

It is, but I don’t think it’s meant to be removed.

Okies, so I had a chance to do some testing today :slight_smile: Less about accuracy. More about accuracy at speed offhand, if that makes sense. Besides, I wasn’t in the mood for shooting groups today!

So here’s some results.

All using Federal bulk ammo and my usual approach to quality 22LR ammunition, that is, yes, I would like a brick of your cheapest shit, dear shop keep.

2020-10-21_00-40-01

You can see small groups to the left of the target, me getting red dot somewhere on paper… Then just a good 'ol magdump from 20m. Doesn’t seem like much, but! There’s just no way at all, in any universe that this could be done at the same speed with A22R. Most certainly can be done a lot better with support, but I wanted to just unload…

So that’s that. Then I cam back in the evening and decided to shoot a little more, being a bit more familiar with the rifle and having adjusted the red dot to ‘pretty close’.

Again, Federal bulk, roughly 20m. The top two are - lets see how fast I can go. So certainly has a lot of potential. And the middle is (also fast) with support - left elbow resting on a barrel.

So… In conclusion. There’s definitely potential, the gun will most certainly outshoot me. Seems to be just fine with Federal too, although I suspect Federal would go all over the place beyond 25m.

I love it! The lever release is fine. It does take some getting used to, especially the over travel, but once I found my rhythm, I was just thinking that I need more magazines!

Yeah, not much to say, not disappointed at the slightest.

2 Likes

Now you will have to show us what it can do at say 50m for accuracy.

HB pencil, that’s all I am going to say on that matter. My groups are going to be awesome.

1 Like

So this happened. Am I one of the cool kids now?
Will offer a brief first impression review.

Barrel is very thin. Considering the intended usage , not an issue, rifle is also quite light.
Fit and finish is nice. Feels light, balanced and handy. Shoulders beautifully, I popped on an el cheapo red dot. Excellent for two eyes open shooting. Head alignment is nice, this rifle points well.
No muscle memory on the lever yet, it does come nicely to the index finger. You can’t reach with your thumb without releasing the pistol grip.
The grip is nice, the rubber is only attached along the centreline though

Bit sceptical, I fear it may cause wear and tear getting caught on things.
Trigger is light and crisp.
Stock and forend is nice, tiny bit of wobble in stock being adjustable.
Overall, great package, haven’t shot it yet but it is definitely one of those rifles that gives you a good vibe as soon as you shoulder it.
I will offer more pictures later.

Edit: I got a clear plastic sleeve, unlike JS who got a black bag, explains the skinned knees…

1 Like

Is it the sort of thing that you could glue to stop it tearing or grabbing on things?
I know that you shouldn’t have too but it might fix it.

I think it’s an intended design feature, the rubber at the rear of the grip is quite squishy, not being joined allows it to …squish.
I will leave it for now, only time and use will tell.

Proving to be very nice handling rifles, I am impressed with build quality. Hopefully I get a chance to shoot it in a few weeks.

I am looking forward to having a test drive and a side by side type comparison with the A22.

I have both, the 515 in a chassis, the A22 in a pro Tactical stock with heavy barrel. The CZ is miles ahead holding offhand.
Much lighter, shorter and handier.
The lever on the CZ is in a better spot.
The savage feels like it will be more accurate and more suited to bench or prone shooting.
Ergonomics, the CZ wins , accuracy, will find out in a few weeks.

1 Like

This is all bullshit, it’s black, it’s tactical, it’s… Well, who cares, it’s black and tactical, nuff said.

1 Like

Well in the looks department. The A22 is a librarian , demure, classic and not eye catching at first.

The CZ is a brunette hottie in sports bra and yoga pants.

1 Like

Today I took a few 22s to the range. Beautiful weather, evening sun, no wind, absolutely not a soul on the range except for me… Bliss! Cracked out 515 and A22R side by side… I was actually using the scope on A22R for spotting shots with 515 that has a red dot. But I thought let’s have a looksie see.

Wow… Picked up A22R and just couldn’t get a nice shot placement due to the trigger that felt heavy as fuck, compared to Cz that I just put a 100 rounds through. Worlds apart. I think A22R is plenty accurate and fun, but FMD, that trigger, after shooting Cz for an hour, just a bag full of nopes.

1 Like

Guess I find out in a week.

So after last weekend and 2 x Cz 515s on site so to speak for intense testing, I am impressed. And looking at my ammo that came home with me, I am at 1000+ 22LR rounds count for that one day. I am fairly sure @Supaduke is around that round count too, possibly more.

The gun is an amazing amount of fun, there is no way the same gun in ‘wood configuration’ (American model) would be as much fun, purely based on ergonomics and ability to operate it similarly to the Tactical model. Tactical vs American model is obviously a personal preference, but the way the gun is run… I’d say the American model won’t facilitate the same grip to quickly operate the lever.

Ammo used:
Winchester 555
Federal bulk (BYOB)
SK

I had one failure to eject. I used a combination of Cz and after-market magazines with ‘Ozzie Reviews fix’ (basically, flip the spring and align the follower). Actually, this fix is for Lithgow LA101, so magazines work in all rifles. Anyway, 1000+ rounds, dusty environment, combination of genuine and after-market magazines.

The only complaint is that it takes longer to load than to unload :rofl:

1 Like

I lost count after about 500 rounds , but I shot a lot. I also used a genuine cz mag, a Lithgow mag and two aftermarket mags. All worked just fine. I had a few failure to feeds early, CZ is merciless on misfeeds. Just about folds the round in half. After about 100 rounds it loosened up and ran perfectly. A couple mags liked to have to the bolt open when inserting, apart from that no issues.
I ran an el cheapo X3 red dot and it works better than I thought it would.
Accuracy was not fine tuned , I loaded up, dialed in reasonably well then blazed away.
It shoots to point of aim, with a scope and bipod I think it would bring in excellent results in accuracy.

A days shooting revealed 3 effective means of running the gun

1. trigger finger actuating lever and trigger, comfortable and the most popular method.

2. trigger finger on lever, middle finger on trigger, less accurate but very fast

3. thumb on lever, trigger finger on trigger, second most popular method, pretty fast, pretty accurate, not holding the rifle as firmly so less nimble.

As mentioned, the wood version will have inferior ergonomics for activating the lever, but not by much.

The tactical looks cool, is short, light and handy. The adjustable stock means it fits everyone. Everyone that fired it said “that’s cool, I like it, I want one” . Will be getting a lot of use in future and will be in the regular rotation from this day forth.

Get one, great gun.

1 Like

I found the last option to be the most comfortable for the semi semi fully semi auto semi usage. Slow, precision aiming, etc. - anything will work. For something more rapid, trigger finger on the trigger + thumb on the lever worked very well for me.

1 Like

A very fun gun, thoroughly enjoyed it and I now want one.
For me the trigger finger on the lever, fuck you finger on the trigger worked best. The gun points really well and stays on target like nothing else when cycling the action.

I want one.

2 Likes

I would loooooove to see one in a small to medium centre fire calibre, like 9mm or 223. Something cheap and plentiful with a bit more oomph than a 22LR.