Buying my first Black Powder muzzle loader.

Well done mate. Getting dinner with an old BP that is true woodsmanship. You can join Kieth in the clan. :grinning:.
Seriously all respect putting the gun to good use rather than just plinking for fun. Not just shooting bunnies for fun. Its all good when you can use the old tools and take it all the way through to putting food on your plate. Lots of satisfaction and you can get a feeling of the hardship that people used to go through to put food food on the plate.

3 Likes

You never know till you try

I went to lincraft this morning and got 3 different thicknesses of 100% cotton, Iā€™ll cut and lube a bunch of patches today and test them out with the .600 balls on Monday (or sooner if I canā€™t wait) I really wanna take some larger game with it. If I can get it shooting well I want to start taking it for deer and goat trips, although Iā€™m a bit hesitant due to the lack of ability for making follow up shots, so i might have to taking out with @Oldbloke or @juststarting in case i need someone to follow up a bad shot with a quick humane end.

So why is @Oldbloke in that list?

Ready for testing :+1:

Have u got a ball puller. Dont go out without one.

I need to make one of those.

Dont get caught like i did.
Check your ram rod. If it has a hole with a thread at one end you can buy off the shelf.
I made mine then discovered the thread in t hge rod.

1 Like

Get a fiberglass ram rod too.
Be interesting to see how you go with the RB.
Might be interesting to try chewed balls too.

Cue childish laughterā€¦:joy:

1 Like

Cool, both of my front stuffers exceed that nicely.

All you need is front and rear sights on the smooth bore

Yup itā€™s got them, :+1:

You know, I wondered why some people are going to all the trouble of casting their own ball and minie ammo, but just trying to get the right weights and sizes in from all over the country is proving to be a pain in the butt, and not at all cheap. Yes, freighting lead is like totally dead weight dude, who knew?
I havenā€™t even fired my first muzzle loader and already a casting pot is attractive. AND in some kind of crystal ball moment, I kept a bucket of tire weights my buddy brought me to make craft weights out of.
It was meant to beā€¦

Except that you want pure lead and not wheel weights to cast your balls with mate

1 Like

It wasnā€™t meant to be

Roof lead from recyclersā€¦

Why bentaz ? I use wheel weights in mineā€¦

I can always hardness test. Roofing lead, now there is an absolute chit-tonne of that stuff around here in Darwin. So many old buildings, roofers have come in and put new roofs on, and left all the lead capping in a folded black bundle usually hidden somewhere in the weeds. Im guessing its a) too heavy to take to the tip and b) too expensive to have the tip take it away.

I donā€™t actually know why @Bigpete but thatā€™s what my Lyman bp book says along with the instructions in my molds.

1 Like