Budget rifle builds

Bargain! If I was a right hand shooter I’d buy one in Creed.

1 Like

I dunno if i can get past that stock though :face_vomiting: the action/barrel part looks gold though! A 26" on a 308 would be good for a little bit of velocity

1 Like

Bloody back to front shooters :sunglasses::innocent:

I could possibly live with the green one but not the yellow one.

Just go all tacticool and give it a camo job…

Also,screw the 308, get the 6.5manbun for longer range ballistics.

Screw you guys :joy: now i’m just more confused! Cleavers have magnum actions for $550 or there abouts, or ready to go 308 in nice stocks with the bravo or the bifrost which i’ve looked at some video’s, i think they’re just fugly photos, how bad is 300winmag’s recoil? Can’t be worse than my 500… right?

1 Like

Also @Gwion my attraction to 30cals is i can have it in the car in state forest creed is tempting… but then it would have to be a pure range toy

If you are confused then our job is complete :joy:

Doing a bit of research that howa deal ks actually really good, the stocks worth about a grand… i’ve never been comfortable behind my lithgow so really want that adjustability in my next rifle

Then go a 7mm… There are other ways to achieve accuracy at distance than bigger Cal and more powder…

I’m obsessed with 284 Shehane… Achieving close to 3000fps with a 162gn bullet with high BCs…

I can push a 185grn in a 308 to about 2950 fps. If your building a Target or semi target rifle while the Howas shoot really well (most of them) Not in the same league.
The 6.5s have about the same drop as any other rifle and drop is not important when it comes to target shooting Wind bucking ability BC is however it just puts you in the same class as everyone else shooting rifles with good wind bucking ability and those in that class some will have several guns for different conditions not a budget conscious class of competition.
Recoil is really a big consideration in accurate shooting. A lot of your accuracy comes from the micro seconds after you pull the trigger. The follow through thats why it is practiced so much. Its why stocks designs have changed from the round Monte Carlo style as they have a point of momentum down low so when the recoil occurs the gun flys up. New target stocks try to have a straight line from the barrel back to you shoulder so the up or down jump is minimized. Also why you should get behind you rifle as square as possible and seat the but on a flat part of your shoulder. Not to mention what 40 shots a day does to your flinch.
Even the guys that shoot the 7mm SAUMs say that the recoil is on the limit and they often reserve the use of that gun to suit the conditions opting for a 6mm BR at the shorter distances on a calm day and a 6.5 for the short-medium ranges on a day with medium wind strength.

I have a Howa 6.5 creedmoor with the 26inch barrel in GRS Beserk stock. It is a bit of a different feel. But I really like it. The Bererk is GRS’s budget version. And it does flex a bit in the foreend. The Bi frost is meant to more rigid and have adjustable recoil pad etc. I’m serouisly thinking about one in 308. Was thinking about the KRG bravo stock. But will probably also consider the new MDT ORYX chassis.

The Savage rifles are the closest mass market manufacturer that make the closest to a target rifle in there FTR model the 10 and 12 are also very close. This is looks like a good budget type
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=141737

https://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=141771
I’ll just leave that there :grin:

Can’t see anything in your link @sungazer and damn @GUN-DMC i don’t know jack about either calibre but its certainly bad ass! Looks like a serious bit of kit

Try this one, it’s the one Sungazer put up.

https://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=141737

Buy the one @GUN-DMC posted. Buy it Now! :+1:
(Not deer legal, but…)

1 Like

6mm ppc, and 260 ackerly improved will be relaods explusively :frowning:

1 Like

Bugger… You’ll just have to buy a press, I guess. :rofl:

The seller might be convinced to part with dies…

https://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=141807
Here’s a cheapish starting point