Bored shit-posting

Yeah, the cold, love the cold. Have to or go mad here.

I’m on the top of the dividing range and it chills a bit round these parts.
I got into the habit of making my morning cuppa before bed and putting it in the radar range because the power is on even when the pipes are frozen till midday.

Some days it hovers around 3 or 4 all day, which is bearable out of the wind but windchill is a bitch when you add a 30kmh breeze.

I have some mates living in Minnesota.
Neither are Americans but both have that particular Fargo accent now “eh”.
-40 is routine for them, they have the main furnace for space heating and hot water, another for wall and floor heating and a backup, just in case.
Now I can handle cold but that’s just silliness.

This is granite country too, no boobs though, just the odd phallus.

2 Likes

I spent one winter cutting plantation pine on a property at Bungendore. I lived in a house on the property and had to put a couple of buckets of water beside the fire at night to use for washing and toilet flushing in the morning. The pipes would freeze overnight and you couldn’t get water out of the taps until about 3 in the afternoon.
Would head into the forest at 7am rugged up for the Alaskan winter but was down to a singlet before smoko. I was doing the first thinning, taking out every fifth row as an “out-row” and 1 in 4 trees in between. The hand falling, limbing, and cross-cutting with a chainsaw and then dragging the top end logs back towards the out-row so the log forwarder could reach them sort of warmed you up a bit.
I’d have the radio on in the ute when I stopped for smoko around 9am, the local news reader would report, “it’s now warmed up to minus 2”. I fucking hate the cold…

1 Like

I hear ya’s. I’m not a fan of the cold either, It gets into by back and my bones and cripples me.
Thankfully the fireplace in my shed is proper overkill for a 6x6m shed.
Having a composting dunny and as yet no running water I don’t have to worry about frozen pipes. I fill up a couple of kettles at night and leave on the stove and one sitting on the fireplace, mostly so I don’t have to venture out to the tank before the sun come up from behind the mountains. Once the sun comes up it usually nice to sit out the front with my cuppa, even if it is chilly still and I wouldn’t swap it for a million dollar centrally heated apartment any day!

The breakfast bar… Lol

5 Likes

It is an acquired taste.

I used to love the heat, lived in Katherine for a while, thought I was going to die before I acclimatised but after I got my mind right, I loved it.

I came home for xmas in 95 and before heading back, had a run in with a sleepy semi driver one night after he crossed the median to my side of the Hume. Broke my neck, back, head, half my teeth and my right frontal lobe.

Ever since, anything over about 28° and I’m knackered.

Good thing about cold, you can always layer up, in the heat there’s only so much you can take off and if you’re working outside you have to cover up from head to toe or the big C will get you.

You keep the heat, I’ll stick with the frost :beers:

2 Likes

Doesn’t get much better than that.

I will admit, although the cold doesn’t bitch me too much, I do actully prefer spring or autumn like most people.

It was fun watching the Euro tourists on the station I worked on outside Katherine, they’d get backpackers in to pick the mangoes and some would listen when you gave them advice about water etc, but some just blew it off with “I’ve been to Majorca, I know about heat”.

Invariably you’d find those ones prostrate by smoko with dehydration or heat stress.
Lost quite a few to sap contact as well, no matter how many times they were told about the mango rash they just couldn’t get their heads around it.

1 Like

All the traffic control people in Darwin are female. They wear full length hiviz all day and a big hat sunnies and sunscreen. They do get blokes who apply and start, but they start feeling a bit warm and dizzy and instead of asking for help or taking a break they just keep going until they puke and then quit. Lots of English girls work in traffic control. Easy to spot they are the ones with the big backsides :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would you rather look at a phat ass white girl or a phat ass bloke? :joy: usually the traffic mobs try to find the hottest female they can find, a bit of eye candy really settles things down

1 Like

BIG guns

7 Most Powerful And Dangerous Sniper Rifles of All Time

See if you can spot the typical American geographical knowledge in this one

10 Most Powerful GUNS in the World in Action

It’s new bow day! Decided i still need something that lobs some form of projectile

6 Likes

That’s cool. Not that I ever see myself hunting with one, but there is an archery place really close to me, at some point I did consider… I must resist :slight_smile:

Nice one @austec. Its a very deep and addictive rabbit warren

I too have had to resist the urge for a Bow

3 rounds of shoulder surgery has ended my bowhunting… :frowning_face:

I would like a recurve or a longbow for a bit of plinking fun.
I’d really love to build a trebuchet for shits n giggles at the farm.

5 Likes

I’ll bring the beer and wood.

1 Like

Ill be your castle smashing projectile.

3 Likes

I just got a text from my sister telling me that you can now get “hand relief” at the post office for $30.

Imagine my disappointment when the accompanying picture finally came through.

I will however still enjoy walking in and asking :grin:

5 Likes

$30 Hand relief?
Jagshemash!

1 Like

For $30 I reckon you’d be getting jerked off by a dude anyways mate.

Yeah, probably.

If I closed my eyes though, it’d have to be better than putting an elastic bad on my wrist till my hand goes numb and pretending :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like