A hypothetical about open/concealed carry permit for handgun owners?

Aus just has a certain ring to it :thinking:

Yeah you are a cowboy now lol

I used to do that. Walk around CBD with a Browning semi, 32 i think with a case full of cash. Did payrolls every fortnight.

2 Likes

This concealed carry bullshit is just that…bullshit. Imagine LAFO’s deciding to be judge, jury and executioner. You will be all locked up for a very long time. Play your games at a range, leave it at that.

1 Like

Nope I should be allowed to carry a single shot 30-06 (the only gun anyone should be allowed) in my pants at all times.

1 Like

I don’t use it for murdering people. It’s 3 shot anyway. Kept in the safe.

So, if you dont mind me asking, when?

In broad terms I agree. But why are there armed guards? They are not judge jury and executioner, just very profitable targets for criminals, so they have firearms to reduce the risk. It wasn’t that long ago a bloke was killed in Footscray for his Iphone…

Where do you draw the line?

Anyone can be the victim of a crime, but only certain people are allowed the tools to minimize the risk?

1 Like

If people were given the choice to carry, and after the correct steps and training was completed there should not be an issue.
It would also make those who were thinking about robbing, raping or killing someone think twice if they thought that there might be a chance that they were armed.

1 Like

Crikey, about 30 yrs ago.

So it was still legal in the 80’s.

Well at the time i was a state government employee. I did what i think was a 2 day training course which included theory and practical training. Was issued with a lic. I often carried a lot of cash for payroles.

Just as an aside. About the same time i sometimes caught a train to a mates place to go hunting. Carried rifle in soft case. Never an issue.

Around the same time (I would of been about 10) we used to run all around town (geelong) with slug / bb guns and nobody cared either.

Yes, around then I was allowed to take a Crossman BB gun to school for a science project. Carried it on foot, on the bus, into school but had to leave it locked up in the lab.
It was a simple comparison of velocity and terminal impact. I used the Crossman because it had a table of number of pumps vs velocity in fps in the manual.

So let’s say next week they allow concealed carry permits. A couple months or 2 years later one summer arvo a guy driving a civic cuts off a another guy driving a Hyundai on the road, next traffic lights the guy in Hyundai starts to yell at the guy in civic, to which they both get in an argument.

The civic guy comes out of the car opens his hatch tailgate and pulls out a cricket bat, fearing for his life his kids life and his car windscreen the Hyundai guy pulled out his handgun (legally obtained with a concealed carry permit) and shoots the civic guy.

The civic guy dies on the spot leaving behind 2 kids under 5.

Than that’s the end of concealed carry experiment in Australia.

The reasons security guards carry handguns is very simple, it’s the same the reason there are security guards in the first place. To keep the general population feeling secure and the law abiding folk scared of doing the wrong thing. I know for a fact, the security companies tell their guys not to be a hero and if something is happening stay at a reasonable distance and call the cops

Why would that be the end?
Almost that exact situation has happened in Victoria a couple of times already with
''Underbelly" types being the shooter.
Maybe if the other drivers had been armed ( or there was the possibility of them being armed) those incidents may have never happened- or had different outcomes.

You’re going to need a very good lawyer to succeed in a self-defense claim.
Whether you use a rifle or a handgun you will be stuffed.

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/ca195882/s322k.html

Not according to the Crimes act you linked to.

What would you do? Take the moral high ground and potentially loose your life? "Sorry mate can you just stop caving my head in with that cricket bat of yours just long enough so i can call the police please? They’ll be about half an hour away cheers "

Easiest decision is to simply create distance with vehicle and not draw, all about training, however if someone’s smashing my head with a cricket bat and not complying to verbal commands to stop, then i’d use whatever means i had to defend myself, whether that be a bic pen in my pocket or a 9mil, just how i see it :man_shrugging:

This thread is just a gift that keeps on giving. LOL