A hypothetical about open/concealed carry permit for handgun owners?

@AusTac I am certainly not about I dont need it until it happens to me. The Apex gang type home invasions are just terrifying and i am all for either doing nothing and cooperating if it is the best option or cutting off a blokes head with the meat cleaver and really hoping that the law would support me for the action.

What scares me more is if these guys got hold of firearms. They could probably apply for a license and get one if they hadn’t been charged with anything yet. Like I said I think they only reason they dont have firearms is the perception that they are hard to get. The first step if firearms are to be used for defense is a law change in that direction even then you now need to have the firearm loaded and at the ready somewhere. Can you see this starts to get dangerous with impulsive people and it goes back to the days of when children had access to loaded firearms and where having accidents with them.

I dont see how you can have handgun carry laws without a self defense law first. In a perfect world I would be for that right. I just dont want to open it up to the thugs, crazies and gangs. In a gang environment sure there would be people that are already crims that could not have a gun but there would also be newbies that could get a license and buy a few passing them out.

1 Like

I to am a gun lover and would like hand gun laws laxed to being shoot when you like once a year or 50 times not have to comply with X amount of times or loose your gun
But as for armed carry well as was said i don’t think Australia needs it just at present not sayin i wouldn’t do it if it were legal i think it can be done with a fair bit of law changing but as i said i don’t think it’s the right time another reason not to carry a gun someone takes it from you and shoots you with your own gun silly but possible Harsher penalties to try and prevent crime not the feeble ones we’re dealing with now

We used to have it. Maybe it got stopped in the 1930’s in Victoria, but I remember seeing Cockies open carrying holstered revolvers in town (Tennant Creek and Katherine) in the NT in the 90’s. Bank managers, postmasters, jewelers and the like were legally concealed carrying in Victoria in the 50’s.

I think they may struggle getting references.

1 Like

I think the crime isn’t that bad here and or values are vastly different than USA to have a desire to have s concealed carry.

But first most of the states don’t even allow self defense, and those that do are very vague about the term appropriate force.

Too many things to do before concealed carry guys.

I believe in the right to defend ones home and family with whatever force available. As for concealed carry I’d like to be sure there were rigorous checks and a reasonable level of training for anyone wanting to carry. Police should be able to carry off duty if they desire and why not allow certain members of the defence force to conceal carry as well.

1 Like

I have to completely disagree with you on this, @Brett.

Police and military, off duty, should the same access to Firearms as the rest of us.

As for carry laws: I don’t think it’s necessary.

I think it should be strictly limited to oz gun lobby members.
I’d still carry one if I was able, but there are far to many people that I wouldn’t want to have one.

2 Likes

Yeah I know one or two actual handgun owners who even the Pistol club Range Officer is weary of. One of the guys was given a big gun to have a try of luckily the owner foresaw what might happen and only put the one round in it. This guy fired it and the recoil was more than he ever expected sending his arm up and the next minute he was waving this gun all over the place in amazement, excitement. Hes in the Grey Nomad brigade and maybe a little loose in the marbles department but has a handgun license.

Would be fkn inconvenient though, having to add a pistol to the edc and buy bigger pants and holsters and shit… and learn how to actually aim

1 Like

Youd have to buy a suit, just so you could wear a jacket. :rofl: @GUN-DMC would have to put some pants on so he has belt loops.

Bigger mag my man, less aim, more pew.

It’s called a shoulder holster, no mention of pants!

I couldn’t see you in a jacket to conceal. so I went with the pants :grinning:

Yeah! Who needs shot accountability anyway :rofl: over in the states we put a 40 rnd glock mag in a glock 23 which is their 2 finger sub combat ccw model haha got some looks

I’d prefer open carry anyway, lol!

Don’t forget the dark tinted reflective sunglasses.

1 Like

Always gotta look like an operator, operating operationally

1 Like

However! I am no longer known as the tactical one amoung us @juststarting has taken that trophy from me :wink:

1 Like

You may have to change your forum name and drop the Tac part.

I can just see it @juststartingTac

1 Like