Why the lack of modern straight pull centrefires?

I was thinking about the Berika Black Ops shotgun the other day and how good it looks. I love it, but I don’t do shotguns so it isn’t an option for me.

If I wanted something similar in a centrefire, the only one I know of is Warwick Arms and then we’re talking $3500 and over a 12 month wait.

So why is there this gap in the market?

Is it because:
I’m weird and actually other shooters don’t want straight pull tacticoolness?
People do want this but only in Australia and so no one will manufacture it?
Straight pull centrefires are way more mechanically complex than I realise?

Thoughts?

There has always been straight pulls around, Browning maral comes to mind instantly for me but also verney carron and some other mostly high end European gun makers.

I think you’ll find the lack of them in the market place is a combination of the reasons above, they are more complicated than bolt actions, hense more expensive. there is less market for them across the world where they are often competing with semi autos.
They are definitely out there, although they don’t look tacticool, but I’m sure they’d go in a chassis but then they’d be a lot more expensive that the Warrick.

There are things like this

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/firearms/lmt-ultramatch-rifle out there in the world but I’ve never seen them in Straya.

And to top it off, things like Riverman for example, are stopped by customs on arbitrary rules.

There is a fairly long list here.

And why don’t you do shotguns, what’s wrong with you?

1 Like

I will one day, just haven’t got around to it.
It’s also a certain level of social anxiety in regards to not really knowing how to start.
Rifles are easy as I can go to the range and set up targets and work through everything at my own pace, I don’t know what I’m doing with clay pigeons.

However, even if I did get a shotgun, I’d be looking at an over under rather than a straight pull.

You make me sick!
When you come down to the Rat for a shoot sometime you’ll have to come out here instead of heading to Eagle Park and we can educate you in the finer points of being a classy muther fucker A.K.A. shooting shotguns.
I’m only about half hour away from Ballarat.

2 Likes

Shotguns, pffft.

1 Like

Yeah but he knows how to aim, how are you going to get him to forget about that so you can teach him how to use a shotgun :rofl:

@Nomis - here you go

Fuck yeah, about time!

…and 22LR
http://adlerarms.com/adler-rf-224-yivli-av-tufegi.html

Interesting… I’d be allover that 22, but I am not seeing dovetail or rail. Hrmmmmm. But if the price is right… Potentially impossible maybe, because theat’s where the top cover would be removed for cleaning? Anyway… I still want one.

On a related note, I feel sad when I see all pathetic losers on FB - oh, Adler, oh, I hate it, oh, I… What a bunch of backwards cucks. Someone is bringing something in and opening up Australian market to new things and these Stockholm syndrome victims are trying to argue against it. Absolutely astounded by the stupidity.

Fuck yeah!

I’ve been waiting to see what Adler has come up with since they got a licence to manufacture rifled barrels.

So looking at this http://adlerarms.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/rf-230.png it looks like it’s not actually a straight pull but a wierd bolt action thing.

Zoom in on the action, you clearly need to lift the bolt to return it. Or am I missing something?

Much respect for Adler, regardless of their reputation.
They pushed and opened an entirely new and exciting market in firearms.
They paved the way for the current assortment .
I had a feeling this was going to happen as soon as I saw straight pull shotties.
I see some cool new stuff on the horizon.

2 Likes

The 22, yes, I did notice that, looks like some sort of spring assist.

Possibly Spring assisted backwards.
Tilt the lever up and the bolt scoots back on its own and ejects the cartridge.
Manually push it forward.
Not sure if the lever in front of the trigger is a mag release or lever release.

Another possibility, it self cocks when you pull the lever. Firing a shot compresses a spring. But the bolt is held forward.
Tip lever and gun cycles.

It’s quite high in the reciever over the barrel.
Enough room in there for some sort of small piston or gas chamber.more than enough oomph to cycle a .22

Another observation, the cutout in the reciever behind the bolt handle is squared off. Meaning it doesn’t move as part of the cycle. Only goes up and down when the bolt is not moving. Meaning it could cycle fully after a shot then the bolt locks and rotates the bolt handle down.
Tip the lever, the bolt handle flicks up, you fire, it fully cycles and locks back down.

Edit , nah it would fire with the handle down.

Edit: Bit fugly too.

It is a strange looking gun.

Good on them for jumping in though. Now let’s get a straight pull 10/22.

PWS/Volquartsen Summit is a straight pull 10/22 I think?

Not sure exactly, but I remember hearing somewhere it was based on the 10/22

2 Likes

It’s a toggle action.