What other hobbies do you have?

Making and drinking beer, hunting, reloading, fishing, caravaning, camping. Keeping SWMBO happy. Lol

Now that’s more like a job than a hobby :crazy_face:

Yeh, and i just retired. Sheesh.
Believe it ir not… it was back to work today. But just for a couple of weeks.

Like most people I have been through a few different hobbies during life so far. The most notable I think is I was always an outdoor person but not in the normal sports. So camping with dad and scouting was the beginning then there was Yachting racing 16 ft dingies and also so big boats Diamonds. Then I got into the horse thing which was show jumping and eventing. The I got into scuba diving in a pretty big way learning technical diving and going deep. In the background has always been electronics as a hobby as well as the paying job.

If and when i have time and money, we’ll install a good green house with aquaponics to extend our growing season down here in sunny old Taswegia… already had two 1100lt tanks for about 3-4 years, waiting for the project but there always seems to be higher priorities for time and cash…

1 Like

When the time comes, I might come down and give you a hand.

1 Like

That would be awesome. God knows i will need some tips and another pair of hands. The building of it is one thing… balancing it out so it works is another entirely! :+1:

1 Like

He actually meant, he’s going to applaud while you work and cheer you on. Goooooo @Gwion

Motorbikes. Was my main hobby before guns. Still have the bikes. All Honda’s both road and dirt. But I just do track days on the Road bike and mainly ride the dirt bike around farm at least once a week to check the fences or bring the horses home.

But shooting/reloading is definaltely my main hobby now.

2 Likes

18th century living history & experimental archaeology. This also covers a large variety of other interests.

Keith.
1 Like

Your also seem a pretty tech savy guy though @Keith any interests down that path? Have you considered living off the grid? or like the comforts of the modern day world and keep the camping side of it as a hobby?

1 Like

We have been living off grid for over 40 years now sungazer, 20 of those years an 18th century lifestyle with no electricity, no indoor plumbing, outside toilet, clothes washing done in a copper heated by a wood fire. When I built the open fireplace I fitted an old buggy axle into the chimney & added chains & hooks for hanging kettles.
CLUB%20HOUSE%20005
Lighting was grease lamps, candles (we made our own), tallow & beeswax candles, & rush lights.
Now we are in a larger house just below the old cottage, & we have solar power, tank water, wood stove cooking & water heating, a wood burning heater & composting toilets.

The cottage & the main house are both in Wychwood Forest which is our property.
Regards, Keith.

2 Likes

Nice I cant do without the electricity. Need it just for the computers :rofl: The rest of it is country living I guess the tank water and septic toilets another name for compositing toilets I suppose 25 years and never have needed emptying or any service. That is pretty much the standard for Rural Australian living. I have a chuckle to myself when watching programs like Doomsday Preppers and they go on about how much water they have stored or filters for small tanks they have like 44 gallon drums. The wood stove for cooking and hot water is impressive though that could get a bit old quick Im happy to have the gas bottles for cooking. Sitting in front of the wood heater is nice only ever had the wood heating for the last 25 years same stove those Heat Charms are built well. Although I think I could make improvements I really like the European Austrian/ German wood stoves they burn so little wood for the heat they are able to extract.

As a kid my dad introduced us to candle making. I waned to do some myself a few years ago and the parts just dont seem to be readily available. We had some aluminum molds and bought wick by the meter and wax by huge slabs. I haven’t found that stuff ready available these days at least economically.

We just bought a house with a pool and lots of bush. So my other hobby is cleaning the pool… ohh and “trimming” trees…

Turn it into a fishpond

1 Like

My daughter would love a pool but there is no way in hell I would ever buy one. My Parents have one and I see how much up keep they have to do for the small amount of time it actually gets used, and it has 3 family’s visiting during summer and I still don’t know if it is worth it.

1 Like

Have you looked into natural pools?
Not much work involved in them mate.

Bentaz i have a salt pool which is fairly low maintenance, my issue is which is so firstworld problem is the trees dropping so much crap in the pool.

The pool skimmer is cleaned out twice a day which gives an idea of how much stuff is dropped into ghe pool.

All good, went for a swim and its all worth it

1 Like

I thought I’d kickstart this thread again, heaps of new members - what does everyone do, for fun, besides shooting funs :slight_smile:

Probably the same as most on the forum.

I enjoy 4wheel driving (normal off-road and competition), camping (always inland not on the coast) shooting, reloading and just tinkering around in the shed, not doing much but keeping out of the wife’s way.
Spending time and spoiling the granddaughter.