What I did in guns this week.

Im just glad it came apart. There was a moment there, a long moment.

Edit: a good example of the “drift” factor of the Chargemaster scale there in the picture with all the projectiles. Those granules have been sitting there and the scale turned on since last night, and they dont register any weight now.

Zeroed it and weight the grains. Lets have a look tomorrow morning and see the difference.

3 Likes

I’ve always been weary of Chinese electrics…

They are all made in China, mate. Even things that say, they are not, the critical components such as chips, relays, power supplies, etc. are mostly made there.

1 Like

I have the charge master lite and it is prone to wandering also mate.
This may sound a bit over the top however I run another set of digital scales and check weigh each load. Fortunately I am only reloading for rifle and have the time piss fart around doing it.

It’s not just RCBS, I spoke to a mate who worked in a lab about scale drift and what they used, it’s just an inherent limitation of electronic scales. In fact, it’s just a limitation of the scales in general, based on all sort of environmental conditions. I have various scales and an auto thrower - I noticed with them that they all have a sweet spot operating temperature, around 20C give or take. Outside of that, they drift after a while.

1 Like

I have a Lyman (Chinese) 1500 digital scale, but it, is always backed up against my RCBS beam scale. Very limited use…not bad for weighing cast bullets, in the right environment, as @juststarting refers to.

20C is the international standard for room (i.e. laboratory) temp, so equipment is usually built to perform at its optimum at that temperarure

had to google it lol

I just extrapolated, because when it’s really cold it drifts fast and unpredictably and when it’s really warm it drifts up, but, when it’s just right it seems to work really well for really long time, then starts drifting.

1 Like

Well tickle my arse with a feather.

Its afternoon now, and about 15 degrees warmer in the genderfluid cave.

Moral of the story is: calibrate before starting. Zero regularly.

In addition to a zeroing every so often I also do a check weigh every 10 loads to make sure it hasn’t drifted.

1 Like

The .223 Ruger Predator that i put a new boyds stock and bedded had good returns too. Horrible factory trigger must go.

Bedding rocks!
The Ruger .375 African threw the 300gn round nose Woodleigh potatos well under an inch too at the 100m mark. Very satisfied!!!

3 Likes

Went for a stalk, no luck this time. However thats the way it goes at times, regardless I enjoyed spending some quality time, err… bush walking with one of my bang sticks. Meh… just good to get out there. :flushed: :grinning:

Did you see anything?

Beautiful scenery and a couple of tracks, was perfect conditions for that… rained last night and a little on our way out, but not as much sign as we would have liked. There defiantly there, but just didn’t spring anything in the selected gullies… couple of gullies over who knows? Thats hunting though… old mate noted some preaching in the area, strong sent so considering the recent rain ?
Was still awesome to get out there with a couple of mates that take safety seriously and have a stalk. :sunglasses: :smiley:

There’s always the next time…

2 Likes

I googled R licences and tried to read up about some state forests near where I’m moving soon.
Looks like fallow, goats, pigs, wild dogs, bunnys and foxes will be on the menu.
I’ve never hunted pigs before so that should be fun, I’ve hunted deer but not shot one yet so I don’t mind hearing I can continue to be thwarted there, lol…

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: 310 Cadet - reloading, ejection issues

Where ya movin to mate?

Northern NSW mate

Oh cool, some not bad areas to hunt !
Didn’t mean to be nosey lol, just that if you were moving to my area I would of give you a bit of a start on some places to hunt, when do you head up there mate?

All good mate, I’ll be near Grafton, where abouts are you mate?