WA licensing fee increase 1/7/21

Heads up to any WA folks going for an addition, The fees have just gone up to $221 for an addition and $289 for a collectors addition. They have been doing it this time each year since 2016.

1. Application for firearm licence (r. 3A, 3B) —
    (a) by person without such a licence $309
    (b) by person renewing such a licence $61
    (c) by person with such a licence wanting licence for 1 or
    more additional firearms $221
  2. Application for firearm collector’s licence (r. 3A, 3B) —
    (a) by person without such a licence $401
    (b) by person renewing such a licence $109
    more additional firearms $289
  3. Application for corporate licence (r. 3A, 3B) —
    (a) by person without such a licence $472
    (b) by person renewing such a licence $137
    more additional firearms $289

Thanks for that @Gregfiddich

This is getting beyond a joke, the way they are going it will cost more to get an addition than to buy the firearm.
Might be a good project for either the @NationalShootingCouncil or the @ShootersUnion to take on and get sorted so we are paying the same as the rest of the states.

2 Likes

Wow!! You guys are getting rolled!!

1 Like

It’s up $30 dollars from last year. The biggest jump we have had. Not sure how anyone is actually going to be able to change anything in the current dictatorship.

Something I discussed with @1Fatman in detail, to get my mind across this mess. For others… Not from WA, this translates to $221 for a PTA. I think there are nuances, but more or less $221 for a PTA :face_vomiting:

I get shirty paying $35 transfer fees…… You guys in WA are getting shafted. Those fees are just rude.

Almost getting to the point where a removalist to a better state will be more affordable.
Lol

3 Likes

That’s actually fucked that it’s per firearm though.

Meanwhile in Victoria, it’s part of the Firearms Act that dealers legally can’t charge more than the prescribed amount for the Permit to Acquire part of receiving a firearm (Currently at $25.80)

It’s per application.

Errr hold on there @Tempestman - technically correct for brand new rifle bought from a gun shop. Maybe add $5 on top for agent or whatever fee, but more or less correct.

However, in practice a lot more second-hand guns are sold and for that I am seeing, at least in SE here, $80 flat for second hand and $100 flat for brand new transfer, on average somewhere between $75 and $80. Sooooo there’s that.

Wait what? Maybe I’ve read the act wrong, but they don’t make a distinction for new or used firearms in Section 95 for the acquisition of firearms, which is what you can use the dealer as an agent for.

Last time I bought a second hand firearm, the PTA was like $15? That was at a gun store in Geelong where I met the owner in person for the handover though.

They’re allowed to incorporate other fees into it though, like storage, and receiving fees, especially from interstate I think. I think when I had a dealer receive and store my No.5 at the height of lockdown, it was $50 all up?

Does it mean you can have multiple firearms per application? I suppose that softens it a little bit.

Or conversely, what happens if there’s multiple applications on the same firearm? Do you need to pay that every time?

Exactly what I said lol Go to Clayton or Mialls and ask them how much it would be to do a transfer for you on a new; and second hand rifle from interstate.

But that’s no longer just a PTA though. I’m sure that WA dealers would also have a raft of their own fees as well on top of the application fee to WAPOL.

I remember a dealer near me wanted $100 to receive a new firearm from Cleavers (I guess they’re not friends lol).

Hey WA shooters, get ready for an increase of $35 for an additional come July 1 2022. Currently $221 soon to be $256.

$50 to write a serviceability certificate (required for each firearm, but free if you bought it from shop)
$50 for safety test for first application (free if you bought it from shop)
$50 per month storage - current wait of 8 weeks for a new licence (free if you bought it from the shop)

So I just pay the extra $200-300 to buy it new from the shop

I was stung an extra $350 in storage fees on a second hand browning buckmark I bought for $400.
I didn’t realise old mate was handing in his license and I’d have store it while I waited the mandatory 6 months to apply to license a second pistol.

In theory you can apply for as many cat a and b firearms as you like in one application but coming up with “genuine need” for each gets tricky.

They now allow cat h applications with a and b which is a small improvement.

Move to Australia, its nice here :wink:

1 Like

Our annual fuckery, just so everyone living in Australia can appreciate how bad it can get.

:face_with_peeking_eye: ooof

Come on, $285 for a PTA that takes 3 months or more to approve. That is about the same dollar rate per day you pay for your PTA’s.