The big fat COVID-19 thread.

Inox is food grade.

A few pictures from the bugout showing the dungeon, meth lab, dam and one of my preferred hunting rifles :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks like you have settled in quite nicely.
Good that you have a dam, need plenty of water to supply the meth lab.

When you’re stuck at home and bored.

I intend on doing the same on my return from work. Good to see you using the time productively mate. :+1:t2::beer:

This is bugging out!

One of the world’s most controversial kings has revealed just how he plans on keeping busy during self-isolation, as parts of the world go into lockdown to stop the spread of COVID-19.
King Maha Vajiralongkorn, also known as Rama X, of Thailand, has reportedly booked an entire luxury hotel in Germany for himself and an entourage of 20 women and servants.

I have been driven to uniforming primer pockets on crimped brass that I thought I would never use. Lucky the state police are lazy and don’t clean up their brass I guess.

And Victoria jumps on the bandwagon. All sales of firearms and ammo to everyone bar primary producers is banned. Effective immediately. Hoping my local gun shop has enough business from farmers to keep going until this is over.

I am fairly sure, @Nomis that margins from ammo and guns are actually not that big. It’s everything else that they sell. Sort of like a petrol station… Petrol is not what they make money on. Could be wrong, but I have a feeling that this is the case. Transfers, agent fees, etc. - that might hurt a lot.

I was talking to Melbourne Firearms in Ringwood this afternoon. He said he had taken $150 for the day, his overhead is over $750/Day (seems high to me).
Scopes etc may have bigger margins, but if no one is coming through the door.
My oil purchase was over 20% of his trade for the day…

Yep, key point here is foot traffic, definitely. Come in for ammo, come out with a guns, more ammo, brass, pills, powder, primers, some random shit I didn’t know I really, really, really needed, lol. And one PTA in the works.

1 Like
1 Like

Has anyone built a off grid water filtration system? I’m wanting to take water from the dam and treat it so it would be suitable for drinking. Have thought of building a still cause there’s plenty of firewood but want more ideas.

I came across a couple of 12v setups for caravans so they can purify dam & creek water to fill the water tanks when way off grid, can’t remember brand names though sorry, If that’s the sort of thing you’re after i know Bushtracker Caravans have a system that’s a factory option, may give you a starting point of what’s needed.

1 Like

For drinking… Life straw? It’s not a system, but it’s a start.

Your either going to need a device like a life straw or distillation. I think distillation would be the easiest and cheapest way to set up for drinking water.

Drinking it straight from the dam is probably not going to be an issue its not far removed from drinking the water that lands on my roof. Perhaps not the run off that may go through cattle poop but otherwise the same, just more suspended solids.

When I am pumping up water from the surface or taking it off the top via siphon to water troughs the water is very clear it has had time to settle in the pipes. I would be confident in just boiling that water for 5 -10 min before drinking.

I’ll look at the 12v caravan setups as they’ll probably be the most suitable all weather solution. I’ve got 4500L of tank storage going in shortly but will probably get the initial fill done by tanker. Once they’re full it’ll just be a matter of processing enough water to keep them topped up. I might build a still cause firewood is plentiful and I can get s/s beer kegs without much trouble.

Maybe setup an improvised sand filtration system for the first stage, to lessen the amount of solids going through your still.
Could be as simple as one container above another with mesh to stop the sand migrating.

Put rainwater tanks in and don’t waste any run-off from any roof. Even the 1000 litre “pods” are a good way to store water. Just don’t use ex-chemical ones. I saw Bunnings were selling brand new food grade ones. I 'm waiting on delivery of another 15000 litre tank at the moment, it’s raining here and the tanks are full, ( first time in 3 years ), hate watching good water run out the overflows.

I was thinking sand, coconut husk and charcoal in a layered arrangement would make an ideal setup. I found some good filters that’ll handle the job nicely. I’m thinking to stack a couple sediment filters as a prefilter before going into a whole house filter setup. I can probably get the job done for under a grand which is pricy but worth the peace of mind to get quality drinking water.

https://www.ozfilterwarehouse.com.au/