Survival firearms

So the wish list is;

Light to carry,
Not a single shot,
Big enough calibre for deer,
Able to put a red dot on,
Good for mountain work/weather.

Not sure if I missed anything…
There is a big list of firearms that fill the requirements. Without knowing what your budget is it makes it hard to recommend anything, but here goes…

Sako 85 series Finnlight 2 in 300wsm, weighs only 3kg and holds 4+1, or the 300wm at 3.1kg.
Sako 85 series Carbonlight in 300wm, weighs 3.1kg and has a stainless steel barrel.

I do like Sako’s. Both are light weight with the Finnlight made of RTM fiberglass and the Carbonlight of carbon fiber.

Pretty much mate, @1Fatman i’m really just spit balling, i’ve got a bunch of guns now so really only need ones to fill in specific job roles

So that’s a T3 Lite, .30-06, with an Aimpoint red dot on it. 6.9 Ibs with the scope on. Cheaper than Sako and just as accurate.

I quite like the tikka t3x arctic, not in 30-06 though. Nor with an aimpoint red dot.

30-06 is like old men’s saggy balls. It’s there. Everybody knows it’s there. But nobody wants them.

That about all anyone shoots up here, young blokes and old blokes.

That’s bullshit, @Bogong That’s about all you accept, but that’s not all everybody shoots.

Up here they do. Ever been to Mt Beauty?..I don’t think so.

I’ll never own a 30-06, better long action calibres in my opinion

It’s a dated inefficient caliber. It had its day, but now it’s just old man’s fuzzy sagy sack. And saying, oooooooo up here. I bet you don’t even talk to anyone up there. You have a preference, that’s cool, but it’s like wearing the same undies for the rest of your life. Eventually it gets stinky and nobody wants to be a part of that.

It’s a very efficient caliber. That’s why it’s been around for over 100 years. It will kill anything in Australia. Your a wanker.

Martini Henry that I shoot has been around for a while too. Just because it’s been around doesn’t mean it’s good. Just means it’s been around.

…and takes one to know one :wink:

Come on kids, time to settle down.
Everyone has their own opinion on what suits them and what’s best. It is a bit like all the other debates on the net, Holden V Ford, Cruiser V Patrol, manual V auto etc. No one wins and it just ends up as a pissing competition with both parties coming out of it badly.
I along with everyone else has their favourite rifle/calibre setup so let’s just stick to AusTac’s original question.

20 posts were merged into an existing topic: Late night bored shitposting

images%20(8)

Hey if you have a bren to give me i’ll take it!

Yeah i agree, but if i’m going to have a rifle i want to be able to trust it, my .303 has a few issues with it i think, so its just a range gun, if i had a fully functional one i wouldn’t hesitate to use that as a survival rifle, almost cried when i put it through the car window last plinkfest… scratched the near perfect stock, but now i remember all those scratches as " i remember that time i smashed out a paddock basher window with my 303 " :joy: felt bad ass for a second

1 Like

If you want a ‘scout’ why not buy something like a 2nd hand sako hunter in 308. Lop the barrel down to 18". Take and inch or two off the butt stock so it just passes min length requirements. Whack a dot sight on it. Bingo! A short, light rifle with a flush double stack mag and a stiff barrel.

You could do the same with a tikka light but it is single stack so not flush, which really is handy when carrying, i reckon.
If you don’t want removable mag you could do it with a howa ultra light in 7mm08.

1 Like

Not a bad idea @Gwion so many things i could do and buy but honestly and realistically i’ll never get around to any of it haha

Illegal to shorten barrels below 20" on Vic.

1 Like

Lop to 18" and the permanently affix a 2" brake, I think that’s legal but don’t quote me :sunglasses:

1 Like