SSAA Gallery Rifle

Anyone shooting Gallery Rifle???
It’s basically a short range pistol match shot with pistol caliber lever action rifles…10-50m…looks like a fun action match with a lever gun!!

That sounds like a lot of fun. Im going to go and look at youtube.

1 Like

I like the look of it, bit I don’t think its shot much in CoVic…

Definitely sounds fun. Got links to it in vic?

All I can find…looks like I will have to buy a .357 levergun

Okay, I’m keen!

1 Like

I could practice the course of fire with my martini for the interim…lol I’ve sent an email to see if its shot at Little River…

Definitely post details here.

1 Like

Sounds horrible!

Said no one ever.

1 Like

I shoot it (in QLD) and it’s a lot of fun. I particularly like the fact you use a decent amount of ammo (100-150 rounds per match)

1 Like

Looks like I will have to ramp.up my .357 magnum loading volume…

@MaxJon what’s your 357 data? If it’s not a state secret :slight_smile:

I can do 120 rounds an hour using a Lee turret press and a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. .357 is a really easy load to load for and it’s very forgiving, especially out of a rifle.

1 Like

Yeah, I already had a soft spot for it, after my pistol shooting days with it. I like it even more in the rifle!!

1 Like

Only 6gns of AP70N behind my swaged 148gn SWC. I have also some HBSWC to try. Wonder if the hollow base will shoot better…Its only a light starting load which by book speeds, I guestimate to be doing 1100fps maybe…Definitely was not breaking the sound barrier…perfect for target, and positive ejection…Its ejects better than my .310…

1 Like

What’s the most popular lever gun for the match? 1873, 1894, or…Scoped, open sights, or??
Cheers

Tactical Rossi lever action with laser sight, 5-25 optic and a bayonet.

1 Like

Generally it’s either a Marlin 1894C or a Rossi/Winchester Model 1892, generally in .38/.357 Magnum, although there’s a couple of guys at the local range running Model 1892s in .32-20 and some of the Cowboy Action Shooters come by from time to time with their 1873s in either .357 Mag, .45LC or .44-40.

Most of the shooters run optics (not me, I’m old school). The biggest challenge is time - part of the match involves reloading on the clock.

1 Like

Ha! Okay, reloading a tube fed gun certainly adds a complexity dimension to the comp.

1 Like

When I do buy, I will.buy something more than a Rossi…but, 1892 are for strength, my research tells me thus far?? I’m new to the levergun world…The latest SSAA mag, has an article on the R92 Rossi, they claim minute of pig accuracy lol