SSAA Gallery Rifle

I use a Rossi 92 for Gallery Rifle and have been very happy with it. I genuinely have not seen any difference in performance between the Rossi and an actual Winchester (Miroku) 92, except the Rossi was a third of the price.

Mine feeds .38 Special and .357 Mag, both factory and reloads, quite happily and it gets a lot of use because it’s such a fun and handy gun.

1 Like

@MaxJon any word from them?

No not yet…might try the mobiles…

That’s awesome then! They are competitive then?

Those blokes are in S.A.
Dave is the current National Champion and I believe also World Champ.
He’ll tell you to get a Marlin, he’s a fanboy of them. Shoots 1885 Winchesters for BPCR though.
By all means, contact him, he may be able to put you in touch with someone in Vic.

1 Like

I think so, but I’m never going to be National Champion so as long as it goes bang and sends the bullets in the right direction and in more or less the same place each time, I’m happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! I’m thinking Henry, Uberti or the like…357 magnum

Timberwolf :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a modern Winchester (Miroku) M92 in .357 mag.
Beautiful gun, excellent fit and finish.
Definitely a class above the Uberti and Rossi’s I have handled, But,

You pay a 50% or more premium for the Winchester and it’s almost too nice to use in a competitive environment, unless you don’t care about dings and scratches.

it doesn’t seem like speed is a major deciding factor in this type of competition and accuracy is more important. If I’ve read correctly you can run optics. I would therefore discount the M92 style rifles because of their top eject and mounting an optic involves drilling the receiver to side mount and then run into ejection issues with the case hitting the scope. Or yucky scout style forward optics.

For this sort of competition, especially if you want to run optics, get a Marlin or Henry with pretapped receivers and side eject.

1 Like

Yarrrr I haven’t fired a shot in two weeks. The withdrawals are hurting my bwain.

1 Like

Yeah something pre drilled, and side eject sounds attractive, but I’m ok with scout mount, if need be…I’m really liking the .357…pistol calibre rifles are so fun!! I’ve been missing out!!!

1 Like

That’s not like you… best fix that!

Well, kinda hard under house arrest.

1 Like

Disgusting, ewwwww whats wrong with you? Get an 1873 at least.

1 Like

That’s my first thought…simply for the cool factor…

Got a reply…basically saying, that there was talk of it being shot ar LR a couple of years ago, but I’m not sure, best contact LR direct…

While I don’t shoot this event, I know a bunch of folks that do. There is more of an accuracy factor than Western Action, the targets have scoring rings, but there is also a speed factor. Dave actually designed a speed loader for lever guns that he can reload with in a couple of seconds. Scopes aren’t necessary, as the targets are relatively close. It is a positional shoot but Dave shoots the whole coarse off-hand as he finds it easier than getting up and down. ( He is a rather large bloke )
When we sent a team overseas to compete they had to miss out on the .22 event as the most common rifle used is a 10/22 or upmarket clone and they weren’t in the hunt using levers.
The SSAA was using this fact to push for allowing semi-auto .22’s.
It was an election promise in Tasweiga at the election before last to allow them but the media got wind of it at the last minute and the Libs backed away from it.

1 Like

Yeah the rules state a broad spectrum of guns… .can be used lever, bolt, single shot…etc…I’m in the hunt with the Martini then! Haha

Someone at the range did a club match with a Martini Cadet just for shits and giggles. Not even remotely competitive, but they had a good time and it was fun to watch.

1 Like

A mate of mine shoots a fast series Service match with a Martini Henry…has 4 rounds in his mouth to start…its entertaining to watch!

1 Like