Shutting down gun shops (COVID-19 related)

“This sector is highly regulated, as you are aware. Every ammunition sale is recorded, and gun owners have to be able to show police where the ammunition is stored. Each sale is registered and given to police, who regulate the quantity.”
Is she talking about Victoria?

Has anyone got clarification around whether the hunting ban is for public land and private property?
It seems GMA, who sent me the msg that I couldn’t hunt anymore, are only really responsible for public land hunting.
I should be able to destroy pests on private property in my own local area right?

1 Like

Ya know if those stats are correct then Ms Neville has no case what so ever and further more the police know that closing the g’shops will send some to the wall and this would be their agenda ie less g’shops more drama for people to get guns and more control over the shops and a little further on for gun law tightening I watched the vid on the other post on here and a point on it is Australians have to wake up and smell the roses and start taking a stance in a court of law I’ve paid into all asks for money even that bloke with the 50 cal range in WA OR SA who was shut down for not being up to scratch for various things then accused of training snipers , what a joke , but the threat of taking the law to court ended in a favourable outcome for those concerned so its about time something was done to counter act this label the law enforcement has given the gun owners ie ‘‘Potential murders’’ people not to be trusted , and the shutting down of the g’shops would be a good place to start . all we need now is some one with enough power and backbone.

Absolutely in Victoria you are allowed to hunt or destroy pest on your own land. Having a friend come and visit would probably be a stretch and not tested. Even if the owner vouched that they were helping and being employed as a contractor it could get messy.

The sale of ammo is not registered to the person purchasing ammo in vic per see, but the quantities of ammo each LGS sell is registered with police on a regular basis! I’m pretty sure This is right and it’s how the LGS owner explained it to me when I asked, but correct away if I’m wrong!

In WA when you purchase ammo, powder, primers and even pellets for air rifles/pistols it goes against the gun owner. It is recorded in the ammo register as well as our license number and we have to sign for it.

You can not but ammo of another caliber than what you are licensed for.

1 Like

Yeah we aren’t that strict, we can buy ammo for firearms that aren’t registered to the person. Well at least no one has pulled me up on it😁

1 Like

Yes that’s how it is where I buy ammo in QLD can’t buy without the licence present and can’t take it until its registered

In Victoria you just have to show your license, no records, no registration. I don’t think you can buy specific pistol ammo without a cat H though.

1 Like

Here in Qld they don’t record who takes what ammo, i’m sure the shop must keep records of purchase & sale amounts to be accountable, but your name/licence doesn’t get put together with any particular sale.
I bulk buy reasonably often and If i use my LGS it goes on my account so it is traceable i guess, but cleavers for example, other than flashing my licence at the person at the checkout to prove i’m licenced no details are taken in any way, even when i choose to pay in cash. So really there’s no way of tracing those purchases at all.

Not sure about purchasing ammunition here in QLD as I have not purchased any for quite some time, however whenever I buy powder, the amount is registered against my name in an official looking register.

Maybe powder’s different, i’m not sure as i don’t reload, but I’ve bought up to & including 10,000 rounds of c/fire from a certain gunshop with cash and a flash of my licence to the checkout operator without any record at all on plenty of occasions. Actually one time i walked out with 15000 9mm syntech as they up sold me at the checkout and told me 10k wasn’t enough when it was on sale one time lol
I’ll ask my LGS what they’re required to do next time i pop in.

Yeah that sounds about right mate. Thinking the register is only for powder.

Yeah i’m only guessing but maybe powder is monitored through Dept of Mines which i assume would be more strict. Who knows??

I’m sure @ShootersUnion can fill us in on the rules.

Just got an email containing the following

Shooters Union supports firearm dealers in trying to get Health Department restrictions lifted for primary producers and recreational shooters.

Firearm Dealers Association Queensland tells us they are putting the attached advertisement in the Courier Mail, the Townsville Bulletin and the Toowoomba Chronicle tomorrow.

Please spread the information through your networks and show your support for your local dealer.

Yeah I did to must be for all members

I’ve only ever had sales of powder or primers recorded here in Vic, apparently “coz terrorists”, but other times I’ve bought these and had nothing but a quick check that I had a license. I bought powder while in QLD once and they barely even looked at my licence, last Xmas I bought handgun ammo (no rifles chambered in 30 Nagant) in qld and no-one gave a shit, lve also bought various handgun calibre ammo in Vic without getting a second glance or question.

I have only ever had a quick glance at the license no matter what amount I was buying. In some cases because I was known it didnt even go to that level. However they were really sure I had a license.
This was all in Vic and sometime the amounts were quite large when combining orders for other people.

Up in Queensland they just need to verify you have a firearms licence; and who’s to say you don’t have a rifle in 7.62x38R?

1 Like

In Tas, your licence number (not sure on other details) is recorded for every ammo purchase. The record is all very official; usually a clip board or exercise book…