Show us your Shotguns

Nice, unfortunately I just dropped a big wedge of money on a big toy. I’m cooked for a little while until I can fatten the bank account again… First world problems…

1 Like

A while ago I mentioned the $10 hammer gun I snagged at a country gun shop.

Took it apart today and took some photos for y’all. Sorry for the lighting and quality. I was rushing.

3 Likes

My god that’s beautiful. I’ll give you 100 :joy:

Been there and done that. a very similar set of pictures and gun to the group. Rubbing a bit of white chalk into the proof marks helps them show up in photos.

I am no expert but are there any parts missing as in to what the hammers strike depending on age is a spring loaded firing pin.

Yeah it’s missing the firing pin from its right barrel.

Marks indicate it was made in Birmingham between 1904 and 1921.

Try to find any markings that give you the length of the cartridge and if it has been proofed for Smokeless Powder or otherwise known as Nitro.

Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

Message @Oldbloke. I’m fairly certain he helped design that shotgun and probably had parts left over.

It’s not safe to fire ANY modern ammo in a wire wrapped Damascus barreled gun like that.
Later I’ll drag out a book and give you some more info.
I would think that it it earlier than 1920’s

Blackpowder…

Looks like a nice project. @bentaz I guess you could use the old BP loads?

Would you know what the old proof loads were?

I have some info on old Belgian proof loads, might have some pom stuff but not sure, BUT I REPEAT THAT WIRE WRAP DAMASCUS BARRELS ARE NOT SAFE TO SHOOT.
you could buy some barrel inserts and shoot. .22’s out of it.

Just to reassure everyone. I have no intention of firing this thing and if I ever do, I know that I have to use black powder loads. It may be a future project.

I’m a pretty loose c×÷t, I don’t think anyone here would argue against that and I would not shoot that even with black powder.
Those barrels are made by wrapping multiple wires around a shaft and then forge welding them together with a hammer. Over time and this gun is over 100 years old that Damascus can delaminate, even the tiniest fault in that production process has now had over a century to worsen.
In my opinion these are the most beautiful and at the same time the most dangerous type of shotgun barrels around.
From what I can see your gun was made between 1887 and 1904.

Yeah… when you put it like that, maybe not. I do love the concept of shooting 22s out of it though. Is that something that is commonly available?

Thats a bloody shame. Like i said, nice project.

Chiappa make these in almost any cal

Sooo, some people might consider repeated comments about ones age ( you do this often) trolling or at least harrassment. You seem to be the only person here making those comments. Do u have a problem with me?

Nah, I love you man, like a grandpa I’ve never had, with guns!

I am surly wrong but I thought they started with some smooth bore barrels first and then wire wrapped them just to obtain the look. But on the other hand they also made some Damascus barrels this way just using bigger bits of steel coiled up.

A good wall hanger I with that is where I could put mine it fit nearly all the criteria if not all.

Here’s a bit of info on how those barrels are made http://www.hallowellco.com/damascus_twist_barrels.htm
Cheers