Restoring (fixing) old 22 question

Just had a look at a bolt and there is a triangular protrusion to the firing pin on the left side above the angled slot for the action arm.

Have you checked that the firing pin is free to move? May just be gummed up.

I pulled the bolt apart. It wasnt what I would call clean, but wasnā€™t gunked up either. That ā€œtriangleā€ is intact, but the action doesnā€™t lockup properly. The slide will ā€œstopā€ but any decent back pressure on the slide handle will open the actionā€¦

So Iā€™ve pulled this apart a few times now. The action locks up properly when the action slide is not in place, but not when the action slide is in place. Fark it. Any ideas???

Maybe the slot the action slide fits in is worn and wont bring it down enough?

:thinking: Maybe. The round stud on the end of the end of the action slide is worn.

So, if you push down on the bolt with your thumb does it lock up with everything fitted?
If it does how much slop is there on the handle?
I have a spare action slide if you need one.

If you put a little bit of downward pressure on top of the bolt the action locks up, and the slide action has 3-4 mm of play. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s not safe to shoot as is, so if you can spare the action slide I might take you up on that.

No worries, Iā€™ll be back in town Tuesday so I could post it then.
You are in SA yes?

Yes Adelaide hills. That would be great thanks mate

PM me your shipping address on Monday.

1 Like

Had a bit of a play with my 06 and 62a today, if I am too gentle with the forward stroke on the pump mine donā€™t lock up 100% of the time either, the leverage seems to be at its weakest right at the end and some inertia helps. Maybe try pumping yours a bit faster/ brisker and see what happens?

Yeah that didnā€™t work unfortunatelyā€¦

PM sent :slight_smile:

So I pulled this apart again today, and polished the bolt with some 600 wet/dry and put it back together. The spring now pushes the bolt rearward with more authority and with the slide action removed, the bolt locks up positively. As soon as I put the slide action back in, the bolt cycles (doesnā€™t lock up). I am hoping that the wear in the knob on the slide action that engages with the channel on the bolt is source of the problemā€¦ If not Iā€™m lost as to what else to check. Iā€™m assuming that being able to cycle the action like this implies that the gun is not safe to shoot???

If you push down with your thumb and it locks I would shoot it (after locking it each time)
The lock is not in effect once the firing pin is hit, the problem is the bolt needs to be in a safe position - right down where it locks to be fully in battery. The angles on the bolt and receiver bring them closer together as it gets lower.

The bolt drops fully into place upon cycling the action and canā€™t be opened by just gripping the bolt and lifting it. However using the action slide open the bolt regardless of the hammer positionā€¦ I think you might be right regarding the shootability of the rifle because as you point out,as soon as the hammer hits the bolt the action becomes unlocked

A photo of the condition of the protrusion on the firing pin for reference

Problem.solvedā€¦The firing pin lock was just engaging, strong enough such that you couldnt lift it with your fingers, but the extra mechanical advantage of the slide action was enough to lift the bolt. I filled a mm or so off of the front end of the firing pin stop which allowed the firing pin to retract further to the rear and achieve more purchase in the cut out in the receiverā€¦ locks up and cycles properly now. Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions, and tganks very much to @wombat for his generous offer of a slide action. Happy happy days!

1 Like

Did the new action slide tighten things up at all?