Pig hunting in northern NSW

I got put on to my first leed for a decent hunting spot up here in my new location.
I went and had a bit of a look yesterday and found plenty of pig sign.

I even saw a little sow run across the road with 4 or 5 piglets in tow.
It’s wet sort of bush, lots of bracken etc, with rain foresty gully’s and some more open areas of grass under big gumtree.

I’ve never hunted pigs before, so what pointers can you give me?
I don’t have my R-licence yet so I’m in no hurry.
Can I use shotgun and buckshot / BB’s or am I better off taking a .308 etc?

2 Likes

I’d go with the 308, there’s always that shot you can’t get at with the shottie, i done most of my pig hunting with dogs but always had a back up for when my arse was nailed to the wall by a boar and i had no dogs in sight, In my eyes a larger caliber was an allrounder for pigging especially when you’re on your own ( which i did all the time ) a shottie will kill the pig with SG’s, Solids and so on but at reasonably close distances but the 308 has it over the shottie for the distance shots ,but if you only have a shottie then get some solids and learn to shoot them accurately it can be done

1 Like

I’ve not shot a pig with a gun yet,but I think I’d tend to go with a rifle over a shotgun in most cases. Their sense of smell is pretty amazing. I used to have most luck just sitting over a watering point and stalking them when they came in to drink

2 Likes

I’ve only gone after them with a rifle myself, but know blokes that only use shotguns. Like Bigpete, I’ve had most luck around watering point.
Also try not to put yourself in a spot that you couldn’t get the hell out of the way in a hurry if it came down to it, trust me big boars can get pretty angry.
A mate used to get heaps of produce from the shops that was getting thrown out and heap it up in a good spot on his property, the pigs were always coming in looking for an easy feed.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Habitual little shits. They visit the same two or three places in a cycle that goes for months.as long as the neccessities are in place: somewhere to feed, a place to sleep and a place to drink water or get cool. Some great science done recently tagging a few mobs in QLD and letting them back out. Amazing how they just cruise.the same spots.

2 Likes

@bentaz, Is your new farm big enough to shoot on ?

3500 acres, but there are other people living on it too.
I was just talking to a mate about building a range somewhere

1 Like

A tub with some barley soaked in beer will keep them coming back to the spots you’ve found, they’ll sniff that stuff out for miles, then introduce them to the 308.

We always had the best success with the barley/beer combo when trapping them as a kid many moons ago.

1 Like

Damn, that would be cool as fark. Man I hate living in town.

Yeah mate it’s awesome, I don’t know why I ever left.

To be able to wake up every morning, go to ya own range and make lead fly or go for a hunt would be a friggin dream come true for me… One day I hope…

Sounds legit. Much more legit than the WD40 story I heard. Bloke reckons it smells like a perfumed tart to boars.

You’re welcome to come visit mate

1 Like

Cheers mate, I may just do that at some point . :beers:

1 Like

Yeah they’ll eat pretty much anything from my experience, maybe not WD40 though lolz, you can even hang an animal carcase and they’ll have ago at it, but the old beer & barley always seemed to get great results. An old bloke who had a farm a couple of k’s down from us told me that trick, although maybe all the pigs out our way were just pissheads like some of the farmers lol.

Maybe we could have a beer & barley party at the Tarpmahal, i don’t think the pigs will be getting much of that beer though :grinning:

1 Like

Sounds like a worthwhile experiment mate

We could try the “beer roll” experiment…That’s when you scientifically test how many beers it takes to fall over and roll down that big hill in your photos :grin:

2 Likes

WD 40 is 95% fish-oil, you can drink the shit.
Just wet the barley and throw in some yeast, makes a crude “beer” for the pigs.

1 Like

WD40 is not fish oil. Look up the MSDS, no mention of fish oil.

WD40 is not fish oil. Look up the MSDS, no mention of fish oil.

Must be an urban myth I was under the same impression and thought it was also used to catch fish for that reason.