Permission to hunt on private land letter template

Nah, it’ll pay for itself.

Thanks mate, that is news to me and possibly new.
So can anyone tell me if shooters union is an approved club in Victoria?

Really in Vic the only time I would suggest you put Target or sport as a genuine reason is if they could get no other reason. As shooting at a Range is allowed with any other category why complicate things.

I am one of those bumpkins that would disagree about shooting Targets on Private property. I have seen that document @Tempestman has attached. There are also another two I think in the Act and the Regulations that show differently and there is wording about being 200 m from a neighbors house and 150 from the road and having a good backstop not more than 5 people not more than 3 hours continuous something like that without having to notify your local cop if you want to do more notify them. So it is not even saying you cant do it, just notify them.

Best Reason is the hunting you can do everything, second best probably primary production and lastly would be sport.

In NSW however you have to have the Sport just to go to the range in addition to anything and everything else.

1 Like

@sungazer think you muddied the water here a little. The document @Tempestman uploaded, by the way not the first time I am seeing is, is correct. Well, as correct as vaguely written policies are.

Again, hunting will cover 99% of shooting in his case.
Private property plinking however, requires ‘target shooting’ as a reason. For example, I have both on my licence.

I may have muddied the waters however that document has some errors on it. Is it the 2008 draft? On page 2 it talks about what a primary producer can do. ie shoot at a shooting range yet on page 3 it then switches to clay target shooting which it says the primary producer can not do. That is wrong.

From the ACT Part 12 Schedule 2 1.3
The holder is authorised to carry or use a longarm,
the carriage or use of which is authorised by the
licence, on an approved shooting range.

Longarm applies to rifles and shotguns

This is my interpretation. Really I think the Sport or Target Shooting category was made primarily for handguns. Even so going strictly by the book

(5) If one of the reasons for the licence is sport or
target shooting, the holder must be a member of
an approved club.

Why do I make my statement of Sport = Handguns if you look in Part 6A for approved clubs it only talks about Handgun clubs and then latter collectors clubs nothing about Longarm Clubs

Anyway as @juststarting would say I am not a lawyer or judge this is just my opinion.
The general disclaimer of nothing you read on this website or any other forum should be taken as fact

I have just been trolling through the Vic Pol website and as you say there is no mention of shooting clubs for sports shooting outside of handgun clubs.

I have just emailed LRD to ask if Shooters Union is an approved club for target endorsement on my Cat A/B Licence.
might actually go back now and ask if I need sport on my licence to shoot targets on private property.

@GUN-DMC probably good idea, since none of us are lawyers lol

2 Likes

It is a bit of a mess. I am not a member of the Australian Deer Hunters but I have a pretty close association with them with joint competition days as a couple of our members are on there committee. Anyway apparently membership of the ADHA is also considered as proof of or a genuine reason. It is a murky area that I bet the police dont really ever want to test. Remember the rules as written are only ever as good until they are tested in a court. Then all hell breaks loose. Sometime I think the police like to keep the rules as written as a big stick but when going for a prosecution default back to a known safe charge.

On that website I am sure there were a couple more spread sheets of what could be done but I cant find them now.

2 Likes

I have just sent this inquiry to LRD.

G’day

Do I need target shooting on my cat A/B licence to be able to shoot targets on private property?

Activities would include: shooting targets for fun, sighting in rifles, load development and informal clay shooting.

Thank you

I’ll post their reply when it comes and then we will know for sure.

1 Like

Well, I’m confused. I’m in Vic and only have “hunting” on my license. Does that mean I can’t legally shoot targets on a farm?

Not 100% sure right now, but we’ll know soon enough. One way or another.

Hunting and sport/target shooting on mine.

I always understood the reason, such as hunting or target was just an initial reason for having, or justification. New to me that if not on there it’s a restriction. Seems pretty silly/stupid if you ask me.

Well, well look at this. Online licences applications is coming.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=34098

Near bottom of the page.

Just received this reply to my first enquiry.

Thank you for your e-mail received by Licensing & Regulation Division (LRD) on 4thMarch 2019.

Please be advised that the ‘Shooters Union of Australia’ is not recorded as being an approved Victorian Shooters Club/Organisation for a Victorian Longarm Licence.

Should you have any further enquiries in relation to your e-mail, please direct them to[email protected].

For further information regarding Firearm Licensing, please refer to our websitewww.police.vic.gov.au/firearms or telephone 1300 651 645.

Blockquote

And this one to my second enquiry

Thank you for your e-mail received by Licensing & Regulation Division (LRD) on 4thMarch 2019.

You may only engage in lawful target shooting with a Category A or B Longarm on suitable private property if you have ‘Sport/Target Shooting’ endorsed on your Category A&B Longarm Licence.

Should you have any further enquiries in relation to your e-mail, please direct them to[email protected].

For further information regarding Firearm Licensing, please refer to our websitewww.police.vic.gov.au/firearms or telephone 1300 651 645.

I hate to say, but… Heheh

Was not expecting that. It is however a great position to take as if that activity was what you wanted to do. What club would you join to enable you to shoot on private property?

Any… It’s not about a club, it’s about licence endorsement. SSAA or any club…

Yeah not sure what club, would rather eat dirt than give money to ssaa