Omark model 44 223

Currently building my long range gun and was wanting to know if this threaded hole is standard? Its in the bolt slide and lines up with the rear trigger and trigger guard screw.

1 Like

No i don’t think its standard…The flat portion is std. though. Must be fairly late model…

Serial.no. is sdx005

1 Like

Definitely later that mine, i have a DKXXX, and had a DH076 these are both early 70s from memory

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what scope rail i will need for this rifle. Thanks

1 Like

If you can measure the hole spacing accurately, i might have something…You might have to drill it yourself??

Its a tapered one for long range…Its just a piece of ebay rail, i milled the taper to suit Omark 44 action. The hole close to the end matches the hole on the older Omark 44 action.

1 Like

That could be the 1. Ive just headed to my block for the weekend but will measure as soon as i get back tomorrow. Cheers

1 Like

Couple of pics of new to me forend rail

2 Likes

Traditional accessory rail…only way to go, i think…Anschutz origins i believe…

Hows the 223 Omark going??

3 Likes

Rifle is pretty much finished. However im fairy new to reloading and normally just load to magazine or factory length. I have 80grain pills i want to load for this and am looking for a OAL for this rifle.

Being winter i spend a lot of time at my block clearing my overgrowth on my range and planting tree’s and what not so its been on the back burner for a while.

1 Like

I simply hacksaw cut a 223 case vertically down the neck portion, debur, resize, and seat bullet to way over length, then chamber, and open gently, then measure…etc…

1 Like

That would do it.

I take a fired case and using the neck sizing die I just resize a few thou of the case mouth, enough that a projectile can be gripped, but will slide into the case when the bolt is closed.

2 Likes

I do the same. It is a very delicate procedure requiring a lot of feel. I take out the ejector on the bolt as that will give you bad results. You have to be very careful that the bullet does not get caught in the rifling and gets pulled back out of the case. It sounds like it would take a bit of force to get the bullet stuck but it really doesn’t when you are talking about a few thou of movement either way. The bolt should drop under its own weight as soon as you need to put any weight on the bolt the bullet has made contact with the bore.

2 Likes

Sounds like great advice fellas. Ill lube the chamber aswell however a stuck pill wond be that hard to remove. Will do a few times to make sure of any anomalies

1 Like

If it gets stuck then your pushing it to hard. A simple tap with a cleaning rod will get it back out. The main thing I found was to get the ejector out and the firing pin and spring so that the bolt will just drop down if there is no other restriction. then with the case in and the bullet in too far it will do the same thing. Start long and if the bolt doesnt drop push the bullet in a little more and keep trying until it drop 90% of the way on it own. you should feel the smallest of resistance. This method takes patience and feel. Good luck it works and gives very good results.

Thanks.im looking forward to eventually hitting a coke can at 5hungee

I knew I forgot a step! On the Howa actions its easy to remove, and like you said the bolt drops into place. Lucky someone is sober on this site.

I bought all this mad measuring gear that has abunch of collets and rods and yet I still go back to the old ways.