Omark model 44 223

Mate your not alone I have been down many a rabbit hole doing the same thing but worse I made my own comparitor collets and do dads.

It funny how once you have the ejector out, its 100% ā€œfeelsā€ like its not being pulled or stuck.

Then itā€™s ā€œWell, how deep was I? was it 5 thou or 10 thou Jam?ā€

And then I back off in increments until the reloading Gods say ā€œThatā€™ll do Dhonkey, thatā€™ll do.ā€

I repeat it 2 or 3 times, it becomes apparent what the actual measurement isā€¦It works well enough, buying a comparitor is a waste of money i believeā€¦

I have used a texta to colour the ogive so I can see how much contact it has with lands.

1 Like

What am i doing wrong. I canā€™t chamber a spent case. Bolt wonā€™t go far enough forward to drop

Spent case from same rifle?

No. The case is from another rifle.

Case was a spent one from a unknown rifle ww 223. Mine is the omark44 in 223

I bet you have a case with a slightly enlarged base. Probably from a Semi or full Auto.

That i will check as they are very old cases. Ill grab a feesh spent round tonight. Thanks for the advise as this was nothing i new about

Run it through a full length sizing die.

Never expect brass from another chamber/rifle to fit or be safe in your rifle.

1 Like

Either the base of the case or the shoulder of the case. Every chamber is a little different. Yours might be a lot tighter than the one that fired the case youā€™ve picked up. Or the case may have stretched (same reason) and now is a little longer.

Just to experiment, I would measure, then trim and try to rechamber. Then shoulder bump, check and then run the entire case through FL die. That is if you want to get to the bottom of it. If you just want to reuse the case, FL die and trim. In either case, not an uncommon scenario (unless on the of chance you have something stuck in your chamber).

Important question:
Is this an empty case or have you rushed ahead & loaded it with primer, powder & bullet?

Always resize any brass from another rifle before loading it for your rifle.

The arguments about neck size, shoulder bump or just full length every time is played out by competitive shooters ad nausiumā€¦ two hands for beginners, just full length size every case that has been shot in any other chamber. After it has been fire formed to your gun, then you can start worrying about the best way to load subsequent roundsā€¦
Just my take on it. :nerd_face::+1:

1 Like

I just thought it would be helpful to understand why these things happen, rather than blindly follow instructions (when it comes to reloading).

It was a very old empty case that had not been resized. I was looking at the shoulder for any fresh rub marks and non.
So i will full length resize some newer once fired from my tikka tonight and check.
The only spot i didnā€™t check for any jaming marks was the bese of the shell.

1 Like

One step at a time, mate.
Youā€™ve got the idea. Youā€™re much better off with brass that has a known history. :nerd_face::+1:

Ask lots of questions. Plenty of crew here will be able to help.

Keep that case, size it to YOUR chamberā€¦Simply keep rechambering it your Omark between FL sizings 1/4 of a turn of your FL die until the bolt handle drops. That way you will know you have your FL die set to YOUR chamber/Omarkā€¦Also you wont be oversizing/working your brassā€¦