Making 12ga (almost) from hell brass

Correct mate, I just need something to headspace and extract from.

Thought about just threading the rim on it rather than the entire case head?

I have this bad boy tucked away, waiting to get a long chamber cut and threaded to screw into the greener gp.
Nice heavy duty rifled slug barrel.

3 Likes

That is a beast, for sure!

The main problem with doing that is that then I need to use the bmg primers, which cost about 2 bucks each and need to be struck harder than large rifle or pistol primers and would mean I need to beef up the spring some how.

1 Like

Oh. Why not thread in a shim and machine it back out for shotgun primers or such?

I know itā€™s more work but Iā€™d be tipping a hell of a lot safer to leave the BMG brass as close to spec as possibleā€¦

1 Like

That would work, but possibly beyond my machining skills.
Nothing lost in trying though, I need to pick up some more 50 brass to play with.

1 Like

Kind of like a 50bmg primer sized bushing @Gwion which is sized to take a smaller 12g primer?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the idea, @AusTac.

1 Like

Youā€™ll only get better with practice, @GUN-DMC. :+1::grinning:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just had a look and I have 25mm brass bar to turn the rims out of and Iā€™ve ordered some 10mm of eBay for the primer bushing.
Still need to establish what size tap and die Iā€™ll need for the rim and Iā€™ll have to grab some more cases and get my tinker on.

2 Likes

Nice. Good luckā€¦

Really there shouldnā€™t be much pressure there on that part of the case given the gun. Even though it is rifled I dont think it would be the same as a true rifle having to push the projectile into the rifling. Even by that point in a rifle the pressure has dropped a heap as soon as the projectile moves into the freeboar. Brett could probably give more details as he has a pressure measuring device and done some testing.

this looks brilliant, although Iā€™ll wait to see how your shoulder comes off before giving it a go myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Shoulders are stupid anyway!:sunglasses:

10mm brass rod arrived so I can attempt make new primer pockets, woo, Yeah! :grin:

1 Like

:nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face: I looked for a mad scientist smiley but there wasnā€™t one.

Did you ask ā€œshotgun lover or just wierdoā€?

I think Iā€™m just a weirdo, lol :sunglasses:

I donā€™t know, I think you might have a bit of both mixed in there.

Youā€™re definitely not a shotgun lover.