For a while now I have been toying around with making 3 1/4 in heavy brass shotgun shells. the end plan being able to seat full bore slugs over full cases of powder like regular centre fire ammo, only bigger! something along the lines of a 730 nitro.
Yes I am aware shotguns are not meant to shoot rounds like that, but its part of a bigger plan that includes the heavy rifled barrel I have tucked away and a Greener GP.
Anyway my plan consists of joining 12ga shell heads onto cut down 50bmg brass. my first attempt involved turning the head of the 50 case down slightly with a file and then emery cloth and gluing the heads off of regular shotshells onto them with Epoxy.
The Exopy I used.
The heads stuck really well when I tried the first one so I knocked up a few more.
But then I hit a snag when I tried to seat primers, the primer pocket are not supported and the primers were all loose.
So I came up with a new plan (and bought the mini lathe) to fit the heads from Magtec 2 1/2in brass shells cut down, I turned the 50 brass down on the lathe until I could press fit the magtec heads on.
Next step will be to fire form the shells using a light load of BB’s.