HISTORY: Australian Firearm Manufacturers: Historic and Modern

I think a lot of people don’t realise there are other straight-pull rifles, other than modern tacticool lookalikes. As much as I looove tacticool (and I do, as long as it’s tasteful), I don’t particularly like the “I can’t believe it’s not butter AR” spring assist straight pulls… Warwick being one, cool to look at, but, hrmm… Have handled, enjoyed, but left it at that. However, Wedgetail Rhonda (pump action) - would do if there was one in 223.

But what about the direct competitors to the sexy slick traditional classics. Blaser, Merkel Helix (one of my dream guns), Mauser (that’s just centre-fires, to name a few). Certainly in the very high price bracket, but these are beautiful modern rifles and I would pick any one of them over a ‘traditional’ bolt action without even thinking. And they are in the right price bracket to manufacture here. They are classy, slick, modern and leave the humble bolt action in the dust. I would love to see these kind of stuff in polymer and wood manufactured here. We sure as shit have the skills to do it here. And it’s almost a certainty it will be a quality product (lets ignore Lithgow recalls cough), if it’s designed and made by AU engineers. If someone would flood the market with it, in fact, even if they were made outside of AU, but designed here and made to/checked by Australian QA… I think it would take off. Or even some simple blow back stuff like Varney Caron, Savage A22R, Cz 515 (bunch of others like in UK)… We are just not a big enough market and nobody with cash is willing to take the risk. I am almost certain all AU made stuff is made to order after there are enough orders, no risk, no gamble and probably understandable due to minute market size :sleepy:

1 Like

Browning make a sexy straight pull rifle also, or at least they did. I think it’s the Maral, but I’m not 100% sure thats it.

1 Like

An Australian made straight pull or pump action rifle in 9mm that takes Glock mags priced under $1000 - I reckon would sell like hot cakes and be a fun toy.

1 Like

Yeah that would be cool

Those Milsurps you mention are not cheating, the K31 is a nice rifle. An Enfield can be fired just as fast, with the right operator however.

Yes thats it, a mate had one in 3006. He sold it, I’m not sure, he liked the 06, but the gun was fine he claimed.

Yeah I have a pipe dream of an SMLE 1911 .357 mag fed carbine…Easy to build, reliable feed/function is the challenge.

1 Like

Anyone heard of a FELK pistol ?