HISTORY: Australian Firearm Manufacturers: Historic and Modern

They do come semi finished, as far as I know, so you have to do final fit and finish, sanding, oiling, etc…

1 Like

Oooo Iike silly and wet.

That’s what she said

Best quality in Australia today, great to deal with. Cameron Hatcher purchased a good deal of stock from the late Geoff Slee’s estate and is, or at least will become, the inheritor of Geoff’s reputation as the premier custom gunstock maker in Australia. As a bonus, his prices are very competitive with imported stocks, Cheers.

3 Likes

I have a Hatchers stock mine was a custom first for him. Good bloke like to stay a bit at arms length from most customers but also very nice guy to deal with. He has been up to my place and shot a Sambar here one night spotlighting as we had no luck finding them during the day. His inletting is really good yes you have to do a bit of sanding and finishing yourself.

I really want to buy a couple more from him but $$ keep getting spent else where.

2 Likes

I’d like the one that is close to the Anschutz M54 pattern, for my Omark…

No idea where this lot came from but we have new Australian gun manufacturer.

Just very worried that no one is going to buy yet another straight pull that doesn’t seem to do anything differently from all the rest.

Had a look through their Instagram. They’ve been around since 2018 and brought a product to market previously but then got shutdown after the head of the company had an order put against him by his ex. That got dismissed at the end of 2019 and now they are back with this.

Early on it seems they were investigating using Australian hardwoods for their stocks. I’m all for the tacticool look but this with an Australian timber stock is some hipster nonsense I could absolutely get behind.

They look good, and while not cheap seems well priced for an Aussie made shotgun.
You can even get it in pink if you want, my girls would love it!

Love the Omark! I have one too! Its going to be kept as a pure target rifle with Central sights tho…

1 Like

Yeah. It’s quite a nice old thing for $250.
Still haven’t shot it since I’ve owned it, though! :rofl::flushed::disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

That was my thought too. The market is flooded with Turkish straight-pulls which are cheap, cheerful and generally well made (all things considered).

Personally I wish the few Australian gun makers would stop fucking around with expensive stuff they can’t sell in great quantities anywhere and focus on cheaper “fun” stuff. A straight-pull .223 or .308 that looks like an AR-15 is great, but it’s massively overpriced. A straight-pull .22 that also looks tacticool, is half the price, and not likely to get banned on appearance grounds in most of the country? Seems like a smarter move to me.

1 Like

I think a re run of all the Sportco bolt guns would be nice!!

I feel that if you’re an Aussie manufacturer, you know you can’t compete on price. The best you might be able to do is make your product not too expensive which is what they’ve done here. It’s a few hundred more for Aussie made which a lot of people are going to be cool with.

However, I’d like to see more Aussie companies create some exciting, innovative products. As we’ve said, not a lot of people are going to get excited about another straight pull shotgun.

On one hand, our firearms regulations make it risky to try anything new in case you do all the design and research only for the government to ban your product. However, I think if anyone is going to push boundaries, Aussie companies are more likely to get people on their side. Governments are faced with the consequence of closing down an Aussie business and having voters lose their jobs.

2 Likes

I don’t mind paying a bit extra to support locally made; I do object to a nobbled AR-15 costing $3000.

Like @MaxJon says, a range of budget bolt guns in the same vein as the old SportCo guns - possibly even using refurbished parts - would be popular and seems like a good place for Aussie gun makers to be working in. There’s also a wider market for Cat A guns not only in Australia but also in places like New Zealand and Canada and Europe, too.

1 Like

Like an Omark 44 repeater, if they didnt sell, I would be very surprised!

I have always been astounded they didn’t make a mag-fed version of that, and one with a shorter barrel/lighter stock for hunting, etc…

1 Like

Yeah, I wish Warwick would do a straight pull 22 at a decent price.

1 Like

Historically I’m a bolt gun fan! Straight pull is for cheats! Haha

The Ross Rifle, Schmidt-Ruben and Mannlicher M1895 would like a word :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Own 2/3 :stuck_out_tongue: And they are furious.