High Capacity Mags Gone

There shouldn’t be restrictions on magazines. From a practical sense it makes no difference, but the restrictions help people “feel” better. Yet funnily enough, we don’t speed limit cars to 110km/h or prohibit people from owning balaclavas when they live in North Queensland, for example.

30 rounds is about as big as it’s practical to make magazines because beyond that, the ergonomics turn to custard or the magazines stop working effectively. C-mags, for example, might look cool in YouTube videos but they’re simply not all that reliable.

And as many others have said, just because (generic) you doesn’t see the need or point to something doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be available to people who do want it or do have a use for it.

Yeah, way back in the day I had a 50 rnd drum for the 10-22. Prick of a thing to load but fun to plink with!

Yeah no matter what the combination I would prefer to be able to put a whole pack into magazines at once, and not have to keep fiddling with split packs. I wanted to have 5 for my Annie so far have two10 round originals and two 10 round Savages that are meant to fit with a little mod. they look very similar and yes I got one to work OK but the other is not playing nice. There had to be a good bit of modification. But looking at them closer afterwards it was never going to really work the bend in the banana is just that bit off that they will not fit correctly.

Yep, when i was a kid i had 6 x 15 round & 6 x 30 round mags for my M1 Carbine (it’s just what it came with from my pops collection) If i was walking around with it i used to take the 15s as they were just more compact & better to carry, but if we were spotlighting i run the 30s, mobs of pigs & roos never stood a chance lol

I have to stay in the unlimited magazine capacity camp, and I play the slippery slope argument here: 15 rounds today, 10 rounds tomorrow, five rounds next week. To lawmakers and politicians, we (firearms owners) are treated the same as smokers drinkers and criminals. You can bash us anytime you want to get more votes. You can tax us and increase fees and regulations anytime you want and not lose votes. You can smear us and blame us and win public sympathy.

This is why I feel the need to maintain a non negotiable stance on any further restrictions.

6 Likes

Ok Sorry to revive this thread but I have been reading the Victorian 1996 Act as amended in Feb 2020 and the Regulations as of 2018 (updated link).

I cant find where it talks about magazine limits other than for shotguns and Lever Actions. Any help would be appreciated. Likewise if there is an exemption for Primary Producers. I could swear I have read this before it may have been in a previous version. Damn documents are a bitch to read.

Can’t help you there, but if you grab a pta form, I think you’ll find it.

Regarding exemption, I’d be willing to bet you’d get a lot of fuddology. Best bet, is to simply call the lrd.

Think I found it in Schedule 2 of the ACT. However it does state that if the License was obtained for Hunting or sport or target shooting the license is subject to the condition. I would argue if the license was obtained for Primary Production that the condition does not apply.

50 round mags are totally unacceptable, I believe if you need 50 rounds, then you should be running belt fed or drums which should be available. Sorry OG no need to duck for cover I just can’t support any restrictions other than licences and background checks which I only marginally support to massage the egos Of people to be.

Is this tounge in cheek or serious?

1 Like

Never mind. I reread lol

1 Like

I get there’s is mag limits, but I wish you could own the larger mag, and have it permanently altered to only have 15.

admin update
context: CZ 515 lever release 22s

Some background reading, for @Tempestman

I vaguely remember this thread, about how they weren’t importable anymore.

Would it be possible though to stick a shaped bit of plastic onto the end of the magazine though? As in literally glue something on the end for purely aesthetic purposes?

I am not sure how this is relevant?

Ah - I was referring to that picture from before - the one that Jizzflinger posted. I was just musing about how you could have that visual aesthetic, but still be legally compliant.

…to remind you what you can’t have? LOL

You would either need to get that magazine, technically not illegal to own. Then clip the spring and add a spacer.

Sometimes the tacticool just calls to you lmao.

https://buyusedguns.com.au/listings/49-round-magazine-to-suit-remington-7615-ar15-etc/

2 Likes

Thats taking it a bit too far. Can you read what is on the bottom two sections. They look like they are some sort of extensions. I wonder what he uses for the spring?