High Capacity Mags Gone

And if there is a need then they should be ok in my view. Just saying majority would not need one. (Unusual) I would rather a crim steal a 10 round than a 50.

There needs to be some sort of limit. Where that is I dont know. But I dont think we want people to have say, 50 round mags.

A bit off topic. But I view firearms no different to, say, trucks. Not anyone can drive a B double. You need to show you are able to safely operate. Need to be some restriction, but are the settings correct? Its about risk.

A few points.

1. We all have gaps in our knowledge. That’s why the gov should consult.
  2. If needed I have no issue with 15 round mags.
  3. I have an internal mag. But that was my preference.
  4. Once again I will say, Its the way its happening, no true consultation.Just dictated.
  5. There is a difference between need and want.

My interest in the high capacity magazines is not based on “need” like what we are socially engineered to accept in the ownership of firearms. I belong in the Tinfoil hat corner and there is nothing wrong with that as long as it keeps me and my family happy.

My wife coming from a very poor on the streets sort of thing but in the jungle gets a very comforting feeling just having a big bag of rice in the cupboard.

@sungazer there is nothing wrong with want. I never understood the entire argument with need. You need some food, water, that’s about all we need. I am not seeing @Oldbloke getting rid of his phone or TV either, which are wants, rather than needs.

But the tv was not specifically or proven over time to cause death or able to be used by crims/terrorists.

Society has a set of rules to manage risk/safety. (Laws) Imperfect as they are. I believe thats a good thing.

Are you suggesting there should be no limit to mag capacity?

Mag capacity is another way to manage that risk.

1 Like

I think there there should be no limit to mag capacity.
I think I should be able to have belt fed if I want, I think once a person is deemed a fit n proper person everything else is bullshit!

3 Likes

I am in the camp with no limit on mag capacity. In the end the weight of the ammo you are holding becomes the deciding factor.

I would love to have a semi auto but truthfully if I was up there in the book depository I could nearly get off as many well placed rounds with a bolt action. Even single loading it takes less than 10 seconds with 4-6 seconds often the rate of fire to hit under 1/2 MOA at 500 9 ot of 10 consecutive shots with the 1 under 1MOA. (on a very good day :grin:)

I think the mag cap thing is just another public relations exercise. “Look at how safe we make it, they can only have 10 rounds…” What a load of crap!!
I’m no superstar and I can change a pistol mag in somewhere between 1 and 1.5 seconds while accurately emptying the mag.
If a terrorist or bad guy was in the same ballpark the difference between him cutting loose on a crowd with 5 x 20 round mags or 10 x 10 round mags would be sweet f@ck all.

Mag capacity is just another bullshit feel good law introduced by morons to keep the sheep happy.

1 Like

Not at all, ob. I just find it sad how you get such flawed argument and yet you’re persevere like an anti. I just don’t understand why and you haven’t explained, because every point that you’ve made suggests that you shouldn’t be allowed a firearm. Yet, I’m sure you’re keen to hold on to them because you Want them, yet you won’t stand by others who want something different.

You mean like this:

100% agree with you. Bolt action, same shit. All prevents nothing.

2 Likes

Yep just like that.

I think im entitled to a different view. That does not make me an anti. I dont believe in no restriction in this case. Look up “risk management”.

As i made clear at the start, the concern is no consultation.

1 Like

You’re definitely entitled to your opinion @Oldbloke. For the record i wasn’t having a crack at you mate, just voicing my opinion on the matter too.
I can live with most of the restrictions we have in the name of “safety” cough cough… but the mag capacity and the suppressor laws are two that are just completely stupid with no real facts or sound reason to back them.

The suppressor law is one I am having a bet each way. I like the fact that it helps lower the noise to the legal shooter and their neighbors.

I am not keen on poachers having access to them. There is a lot of trespass and illegal shooting that goes on in the country. My neighbor had a young calf shot last year. I bet it was a deer hunter that didnt want to go home empty handed. So shot his cattle skinned, gutted and butchered them in the paddock just taking home the meet.

I suppose it is like a lot of the firearm laws they only apply to Law abiding people anyway. So they may as well not be banned as a crim is going to fit a solvent trap.

@Oldbloke this is what I am saying “no real facts or sound reason to back them.”

Before I see a no, I would like to see facts and sound reason. Unfortunately I am not seeing that in most gun arguments. You can’t outlaw bad behaviour, only punish it. Magazine capacity (and by the way, I have like zero use for one beyond what I have) is stupid. I don’t care if you have 30-06 to look at or shoot snails. Just because I don’t have a use for it, I don’t see why other people shouldn’t enjoy them, for no reason other than they want to, they are/you are fit and proper person that passed all the checks, they pay taxes, they are sane, etc. No reason, why not.

I am happy to be convinced otherwise, but you will need facts for that, not just good vibes and smiles.

1 Like

Correct. And im not keen on lunies having (perhaps many) very large capacity mags.

Where there is a sensible need im fine with larger mags. But there needs to be sensible management. Not open slather. And that is better achieved through meaningfull open minded consultation with users respresentatives.

There are truck loads of laws applied now that many people are not aware of and we all get along ok.

Anyway ive expressed an opinion. And like bums everyone has one.

1 Like

There shouldn’t be restrictions on magazines. From a practical sense it makes no difference, but the restrictions help people “feel” better. Yet funnily enough, we don’t speed limit cars to 110km/h or prohibit people from owning balaclavas when they live in North Queensland, for example.

30 rounds is about as big as it’s practical to make magazines because beyond that, the ergonomics turn to custard or the magazines stop working effectively. C-mags, for example, might look cool in YouTube videos but they’re simply not all that reliable.

And as many others have said, just because (generic) you doesn’t see the need or point to something doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be available to people who do want it or do have a use for it.

Yeah, way back in the day I had a 50 rnd drum for the 10-22. Prick of a thing to load but fun to plink with!

Yeah no matter what the combination I would prefer to be able to put a whole pack into magazines at once, and not have to keep fiddling with split packs. I wanted to have 5 for my Annie so far have two10 round originals and two 10 round Savages that are meant to fit with a little mod. they look very similar and yes I got one to work OK but the other is not playing nice. There had to be a good bit of modification. But looking at them closer afterwards it was never going to really work the bend in the banana is just that bit off that they will not fit correctly.

Yep, when i was a kid i had 6 x 15 round & 6 x 30 round mags for my M1 Carbine (it’s just what it came with from my pops collection) If i was walking around with it i used to take the 15s as they were just more compact & better to carry, but if we were spotlighting i run the 30s, mobs of pigs & roos never stood a chance lol

I have to stay in the unlimited magazine capacity camp, and I play the slippery slope argument here: 15 rounds today, 10 rounds tomorrow, five rounds next week. To lawmakers and politicians, we (firearms owners) are treated the same as smokers drinkers and criminals. You can bash us anytime you want to get more votes. You can tax us and increase fees and regulations anytime you want and not lose votes. You can smear us and blame us and win public sympathy.

This is why I feel the need to maintain a non negotiable stance on any further restrictions.

6 Likes