Help with making ballistic gel

A minor update.

My neighbour who agreed to do a comparison between the HMR and WSM in exchange for a dozen beers finally turned up this afternoon.

With a .223 :expressionless:

He’s just bought it and some Buffalo River 55gn sp and decided he’d rather test that out instead.

Diplomatically resisting the urge to stab him, I explained that I’d already done that test and it wasn’t worth spending half a day remelting, pouring etc to repeat it.

He wasn’t particularly impressed but was somewhat mollified when I gave him his beers as a consolation prize.

1 Like

I would have given him some bottled water to keep in theme of almost but not quite.

3 Likes

Yeah, it was VB he’d asked for, no good to me.

I’d rather drink warm piss, straight from the goat.

2 Likes

Has anyone used these guy’s products?

If so, impressions?

This test is brought to you courtesy of Gwion, who generously donated the projectiles. :beers:

This is the B&T Energetics 40gn HP at 100m.

They are very aptly described as “frangible” delivering a vicious hit and completely disintegrating within 50mm after entry.

The create an impressive permanent wound cavity for such a light projectile.

The weather is predicted to be somewhat biblical over the next several days, but when it clears I’ll start a new batch of tests at 200m.

2 Likes

They sure go “splat’!

Work well as as TB load for small light bodied pests as well. :nerd_face::+1:

1 Like

Got a small break in the weather, I was waiting for Noah to float past but Hughie decided to be kind.

Today’s test is courtesy of James at REXEM, who kindly supplied the projectiles, the 62gn F Bomb VLD at 100m.

The names REXEM and F Bomb are very apt because “Faark” was my first reaction.

It actually split the 30kg jelly block in two and made a devastating wound cavity, with the main body of the projectile travelling 36cm into the block.

These are also very accurate, without having to find a load, I just put them over the minimum load of 2206H at 23gn with CCI BR4 primers and got the satisfying group below at 100m. the flyer is no doubt my doing. Gotta love something that just works, no fuss or fiddling.

As can be seen below the projectile was already expanding rapidly, leaving a sizable piece of jacket out 10mm in.

The block had dehydrated quite a bit during the wait for the rain to stop so I’m going to repeat the test with a fully hydrated block so that I can get some better pictures of the cavity.

My initial impression though is that I have a new favourite.

6 Likes

I did the REXEM F-Bomb test again this morning.

I had thought that the level of damage to the block was due to brittleness from dehydration.

As my late Mum used to say “I’m not often right, but I was wrong this time”.

It didn’t just split the block this time, it destroyed it.

I saw a plume of steam/smoke pour out of the entrance wound immediately after the hit, I would truly swap one of my plums to have had a super fast camera on it to have seen the results in slowmo.

Normally I slip the mold back over the block to stabilise it to avoid doing extraneous damage while handling it.
Not this time.
The pics say more than I could.
These projectiles are devastating.

The giant wound cavity is the pale, disrupted area and extended from 20mm in to about 15cm and turned the jelly in that region into a fair approximate of lumpy snot.

Thanks again to James from REXEM for creating these and supplying the projectiles for testing

2 Likes

It would appear I’m a cupid stunt.

I stated that I used the minimum load for the REXEM 62gn F-Bombs.

I did NOT, it was the maximum.

I’ve been trying to work out how I made that mistake after being questioned as to where in the ADI load chart I got that minimum load.

I have figured it out.

As there was no close equivalent on the chart, I used the best load for the ADI SS109 62gn as recorded in my range notes.

I am now considering whether lawn bowls might be a more appropriate hobby.

Thats not a silly assumption to make though. Certainly a good place to start IMO.

1 Like

Seems I fluked it judging by the group.

I’ve got the block ready for 200m, if Hughie plays the game, possibly tomorrow :crossed_fingers:

With the F-Bombs being so incredibly destructive at 100m, hopefully I’ll be able to get some better, more meaningful photos from the 200m results.

1 Like

First 200m test today, again the remarkable REXEM F-Bomb 62gn.

After totally destroying the block in the last test I wrapped it with about half a roll of cling wrap and thankfully it stayed in one piece.

These miniature artillery shells still delivered an incredible hit, creating a massive permanent wound cavity, and despite a steady ~20kph 90 degree crosswind, only drifted about 3/4" from the aim point.

Hughie’s fixing to get biblical again Thursday apparently so it’ll be a few days before the next test.

1 Like

Back when I used a .222 all the time I used to run 55gr ballistic tips. They were a bit longer than standard spitzer-boat tails, but they worked extremely well on culling hoppers, goats and also took down a lot of pigs. Rabbits could be skinned, gutted and de-boned in the one shot. Blokes used to tell me to use lighter bullets and drive them faster but I found the longer, heavier pills worked better. They extra weight and sectional density is what does the job in flesh and bone in my experience. Those F-bombs certainly look the goods.

2 Likes

Faceplant being what it is and me not being a member, I don’t know if this link will lead to the right video.
If not, search rexem and look for a video dated 6/September and with this as the picture of the first frame

The really interesting part is the thermal footage of REXEM in hunting action starting about 6 minutes in

I’m not on faceplant either but I had a look at his website. I’d be interested in the 6.5’s he’s doing but he doesn’t seem to have any stock at all.

I spoke to him last week, he apparently has 10 or 15000 jackets arriving imminently so :crossed_fingers:
I’m wanting to order a couple of hundred F-Bombs myself

I emailed him, asked about availability of the 6.5mm stuff he’s doing and he just said “soon” and told me to keep an eye on Facetard, yeah well, that 'aint gunna happen.

I’m in contact so I’ll get more detail on here as soon as I get an update.
He’s got the same supply chain issues as every manufacturer.

His stuff certainly looks the goods and I’ll support an Aussie business over an overseas one every time I can. He mentioned that he might do some posting on here, I reckon he’d be more than welcome.

1 Like

Yeah, I hope he does.
I told him where to find the posting of the results.

It’s great to see an Aussie business making such outstanding products.
The more we can support products like these, the more we’re likely to get