Help with making ballistic gel

Can’t get a much closer match to animal skin than actual animal skin lol.

Today it was Boo-ya’s turn.
Fiocchi 12g Brenneke Rifled Slug at 50m.
As the price indicates, I’ve had them since dirt was invented
Fiocchi Brenneke Rifled Slug

My initial impression:“Holy Batflaps Pissman!”

Bentaz you were right, they don’t drop very far, if at all, at 50m.

It went through the entire 41cm of the block like a runaway moon with more counter-intuitive results, ie making an entrance hole about 5 times the size of the exit.
It then hit one of the supports of my 40kg bullet catcher, knocked the whole thing arse over tit and to my great disappointment, disappeared in the long grass.

I considered buggering about with the metal detector to try to find it but I’ve lobbed so much lead into that part of the paddock it’d be like trying to find one particular bullet at the Somme.

As is visible here, the path curves upward from the entrance on the right.

The cavity seems to be star shaped, continuing the shape of the entry, expanding for over 30cm then reducing.

I think a porker would take one of these pretty seriously, if I could get within range.

2 Likes

Not being into shotguns, how much does a slug weigh and how fast are they going?

According to Fiocchi, 32g and 445m/s(1440fps)

I gather that’s grams?

1 Like

It is, a bit over an ounce

494 grains in 32g

So, around 500 grains doing 1440 f/s, that would be a high velocity load in my .45-90 with black-powder.
Obviously the 12g slug isn’t going to have the ballistics of .45 bullets but in .45 that load would pass clean through the chest cavity of a bison from a reasonable distance.

Jebus, these should really give porky the good news then.

I’ve been lusting for a 45-70 for ages, then I was reading about the 45-90 and became even more enamoured.
Perhaps, one day…

What’s your effective range on the 45-90?

Effective in what way? I don’t hunt with mine, I can’t seem to find a herd of Bison on the prairie. :wink:
It’s used for long range target work out to 1100 yards and I also sometimes use it for BPCR silhouette, 200 to 500m. It’s quite effective for that. It’ll put 5 shots into roughly 5" @ 500m if I do my bit.
I shoot a 545gr cast bullet on top of 73 gr of 1.5f Swiss blackpowder. That’s a fairly mild load for a 90, maybe 1200f/s, pretty much a .45-70 load but it works for me.

1 Like

12g OO buckshot at 20m.

It will keel.

Blew the block in halves and all 9 balls disappeared down range.

3 Likes

It seems the jelly shots are done.

I had arranged with a neighbour to bring his and his son’s HMR and WSM over for a comparison test on the weekend and I’d slip them a 6 pack each for the trouble.

Alas they didn’t bother to show up and hadn’t returned my call until this arvo when oldmate suggested he might drop by in a week or two.

To top that fuckery off, despite adding the suggested amount of peppermint oil to the mix as a preservative, the block has started to look like the world’s biggest petri dish.
I wiped it down with some windex this morning but the resilient little mold and fungi critters are starting to show again already.
I’m in two minds, take it down the back and blow it to bits or let nature run it’s course and see what grows in it.

If you give it a remelt are you able to get the temperature to 60 deg c? If so that should kill all the bacteria just like pasteurization would.

1 Like

With that in mind I’ve taken it to 70° each time.

I could remelt and kill them off but I’ve tried all the varieties I have at hand and the block is of no further use anyway so I think I’ll let it form a garden and see what develops :beers:

Want some B&T Energentics .224 in 50g to try?

1 Like

Today’s test comes to you courtesy of Sungazer, who kindly donated some Hornady 62gn TAP projectiles to “science”.

Thanks SG :beers:

We do have some weirdness however and I think I may have to redo the test.

The farthest visible point of penetration was 37cm into the 41cm block.
There was no visible track beyond that point and no apparent exit.
However, as can be seen in the first pic, I either totally missed the remainder of the track and the exit wound or the majority of the projectile took a left turn into the Twilight Zone.
Pic one is all I could find with an unfired pill as comparison.

The permanent cavity was star shaped, 90mm at the widest point and almost 280mm long

The jelly is getting a bit dark and there was some alien filth growing not just on, but also through it.
When I had remelted it I added 10ml of clove oil which hopefully should prevent a recurrence :crossed_fingers:

The exit end was the top of the block when in the mold and was covered in craters where the mold/fungi critters had eaten into it so the exit may have been indistinguishable from them.
When I retest I’ll put a block of polystyrene behind the back end as a catcher

2 Likes

Good news

I had an idea while re-pouring the jelly and set up an improvised filtration method.

I managed to remove about a cup full of hideous slimy filth as well as the fungal snotcritters.

After a night in my kitchen at 3° the block looks much clearer.

It won’t be cured properly until tomorrow but, weather permitting, I’ll redo the TAP test then.

2 Likes

In the mail tomoz. Weight sorted.

Gwion, you legend :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

Thanks man :beers:

I was a little worried that the clove oil I put in the jelly might effect its setting but it’s purrrfick this morning. :muscle:

1 Like

Hornady 62gn TAP at 100m, take 2.

Working on the assumption that the bulk of the projectile hadn’t entered the Twilight Zone, I put together a little catcher from 100mm of polystyrene backed up by a piece of 12mm polycarbonate and lo and behold, we have success.
Obviously, the hateful shit styrene didn’t slow it down any, simply caught it after it bounced off the polycarbonate.

When I saw the shadow on the left in the pic below, right on the bullet path, I got all excited thinking it was a secondary permanent cavity but alas, when I cut the wound track open it turned out to be nothing more than a cloud of the jizzumy filth that mysteriously grows inside the block as it sets.

I truly wish I had a suitable camera to catch the impact in slowmo to see the expansion that caused the crack below. These TAP hit like a train.

I got a much better cavity this time.

The back end of the pill really holds together well and weighed in at 45.4gn

I wouldn’t hesitate to give Porky the good news with one of these bad boys.

Thanks again Sungazer :muscle:

1 Like