Gwion's Hand Forged Knives

I’ve asked for a price on one in particular

Geeeez man, let this humble guy advertise his craft LOL

Yes and no. I have made ‘to order’ but i prefer just to make a knife and put it out there. Last knife i sold for $260 with a sheath. Another was $250 with no sheath (bigger and more work).

On average it takes between one and two days total to forge and finish a knife, so I’m really just charging apprentice rates for time ATM and it doesn’t even count in gas, belts, abrasives and wear and tear on files, etc… etc…

2 Likes

I think that the handle (middle one) on the top blade would suit it.

And I am with Juststarting on cost etc.

1 Like

I’ll have a play with it tomorrow and if i bugger it, I’ll chalk it up to experience and start a new handle. :nerd_face::+1:

They all look good but the middle one I think the bit that makes you think its just not popping is that the blade narrows a lot more than the standard shape above it before going into the handle.

1 Like

For bushcrafty stuff a round handle is awesome, especially for reverse chest lever grip, something i look for when getting a new knife, but not a natural shap unfortunately

I think i fixed it. Just needs an edge now. I also think the balster could be pared back a bit but i think i should leave well enough alone.

I also got a few more knives tidied up a bit more and a handle glued and pinned, ready to shape on the knife that @GUN-DMC is interested in.

1 Like

Still looks amazing

1 Like

Hmmmm… pretty.:nerd_face:

Looking good mate.

1 Like

Nearly done. Just a bit more tidying up/sanding of the handle finish, final clean up and setting an edge…

“Why is the handle profile like that?” I hear you ask… because it’s comfy to hold when you are using it for skinning/fleshing out.

1 Like

@Gwion Just a random thought. Would old Damascus shotgun barrels be good for making knives?
What about rifle barrels etc?

1 Like

Looks good @Gwion, be a good slicer with that belly

1 Like

Hard to say. Depends a great deal on what steels were used for the pattern welded barrel. If nothing else, they could be used to make pretty ‘san mai’ blades with a nice known steal forge welded between a sandwich of antique pattern welded barrel steal.

1 Like

What is the last one pictured made from? Some curious lines and markings on there can you explain?

@sungazer masking tape.

8e52d2d9d1311623b38d7e198c9b215e0bc382c4_1_561x500

On the handle or blade?

Handle is ‘spalted maple’. Spalting is a fungal infection through the timber. The timber has been stabilised.
On the blade you can just see residue from the masking tape i use to protect the blade while i fit the handle so it doesn’t get scratched or glued up.
The bevel has been left at 120grit and just surface conditioned. I haven’t cleaned it up properly yet.

Yes I meant on the blade. The masking tape explains the lines. But still there are what looks like pretty big divots in the top corner near the handle so thats what got me wondering what you had repurposed.

That’s just some decorative peining. Before heat treat I went at it with a small ball pein hammer while it was hot.