First Rifle Help! Which Stock/Chassis for Howa 1500 Creedmoor

Absolutely, just leaves me no money for a scope

That is true but if you are still going through the licensing process then it might give you time to save up some more cash for a scope.

Another option is to get a cheaper scope, that will allow you to practice out to a few hundred metres while you save for a better scope. Then you can either keep the scope for another rifle or sell it and add the cash to your new one.

With the Lithgow you are getting a brand new rifle and with the Tikka a extra mag, bipod (I assume as it is pictured) and hard case.

1 Like

Or get the first one rebarrelled to 6.5creed and still come in under 3.5k…

1 Like

That sounds way too over complicated for off the shelf gun.

https://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=194034

This one leaves you $2k for ammo & reloading gear…

Not complicated. The gun smith does all the work! :rofl:

Plenty of options, as Dan correctly pointed out.

So you buy something half right to keep spending money on it… As a first gun… Meh, too much complexity for me.

Ok perhaps I should have worded the original post differently. I just thought it’d go wituout saying that I’d start smaller and build up, my bad.

I’ll probably take a few shots at the gong for fun in between, but the focus will be on building up skill in groups.

I doubt I’ll ever compete, just recreational target shooting and some hunting when I gain solid confidence.

I’ll sus out some uses guns, thanks for pointing out thr examples. I don’t plan on giving it up after a few shoots though, this is something I’ll have loads of fun with and I have enjoyed it immensely when I’ve been to the range with friends. Anyway at this rate I’m thinking I’ll go with a Howa or Tikka, eventually upgrade the stock and put a Strike Eagle on it.

Ammo will be a problem, at $50ish for a box of 20 in 6.5 creed, I’ll probably be limited to 40 rounds at a time. Do you guys have any advice on good ways to make a good day of it in minimal rounds?

As for the guy who said I should start with a .22, I have every intention of a .22 being my second rifle. I’ve also put a few hundred rounds through friends 22’s and I haven’t really been a flincher on the bigger calibers that I’ve shot. Surely a 6.5 Creedmoor with a muzzle break is going to be relatively cruisy to fire anyway, I can’t imagine that it’ll kick much more than the 22-250 I’ve fired. Seems like a perfectly good first caliber to me that will stay on par as my skills develop.

Under 3.5k for a Lithgow set up or 3.5k for a Howa setup.
Yes, complicated for a first rifle but I know what I’d prefer for the price!

You’ll be fine with 6.5manbun.
Just stirring the pot and throwing options around within the budget. :nerd_face::+1:

I’d be perfectly happy firing it in .308 for a while and eventually switching the barrel anyway. 6.5CM is the preference, but if I find a killer deal in .308 I wouldn’t flat out rule it out etc.

The Howa in an MDT XRS is $1350, the 3k budget was allowing for a Scope, Safe, Bipod and a some ammo.

The Lithgow looks like a super solid rig, I assume they’re a better shooter than the Howa?

Dunno about better shooter but quality Australian build.

By the way, I have a Howa that I have spent more money than I should have on it, including rebarrel and action truing…

Buy something simple, practice lots…

2 Likes

Not so much with minimal rounds but you can buy a small reloading kit ( with just the basics) and reload your own, that way it will work out a little cheaper allowing you to shoot more.

1 Like

Yeah, nah, this is an entirely different conversation dude. And to be blunt and honest, you’re going to be paying well over a dollar a shot. Maybe more $1.50 for budget buys and bit shy of $3 if you’re buying premium ammo. And a box of 20 goes reaaaalll fast. That’s if you’re on centrefire all day. With a 22, totally doable. At this stage, with current shipping situations and covid and USA ammo demand, reloading is something you may want to start thinking about to get you through the next year or more.

Just one little tip, you won’t win many friends with a muzzle break at the range. The extra noise they punch out sideways directly at your fellow shooters is a sure way to annoy folks. The range i go to has a special section right up the end for special people with muzzle breaks.
6.5s cmoors don’t kick anyway, anyone who has one on a 6.5 has it for the tacicool look.

1 Like

If you have some mates that actually know what they are doing when it comes to safe reloading, then I would suggest that you learn from them and use their gear until you can get your own gear… I’m sure they wont mind and will be happy to teach you. (JUST MAKE SURE YOU LEARN FROM SOMEONE THAT KNOWS WHATS WHAT)…

Reloading is not only a way to significantly reduce cost and max the fun scale, but allows for fine tuning… :beers:

2 Likes

Yeah I have sussed the prices, .308 isn’t much cheaper either. Yeah when I get the .22 as a second it’ll make for a good day out.

Alrighty awesome, definitely another skill to learn as I go. I’ve seen the horror stories of blown up barrels from poor reloads so I’m 100% with you on learning properly.

Don’t like the noise, take up golf :slight_smile: I have a break and anyone who feels offended by it can suck on some hairy donkey balls. Funny enough, the heartache and confusion it causes fudds when I am done and then pull out some BP and milsurps and shoot those. It’s as if their brain is melting on the inside. I can almost taste the soul as it drains from their fragile zealot bodies.

2 Likes