First Rifle Help! Which Stock/Chassis for Howa 1500 Creedmoor

:face_vomiting:

Chassis any day of the week on a modern rifle! Thank you!

Bit of a Stretch saying a Tikka is an entry level Sako.

An S20 or A7 is an entry level Sako. A Tikka is a TIkka, Smooth bolt, Crappy mags, one action length and stupid recoil lug set up all make a Tikka a Tikka.

1 Like

Yes, I knew I young punk like you would say that…lol

1 Like

I have this.
Howa 6.5cm, KRG Bravo, 26inch medium profile barrel, Meopta 6-18x50 scope.
It’s the cheaper end of the PRS/Chassis market.
I like it a lot, it’s very accurate.
I have used quite a few different chassis now.
To be honest, all the reputable chassis company’s, all about the same. Some have a bit more adjustment , bedding etc.
All of the mainstream chassis systems with a Howa action will be more than adequate for all but the absolute best shooters.
Pick one you find aesthetically pleasing in your price range.

1 Like

A Howa will suit the needs you have described. My point is it is a ‘budget’ hunting rifle, not a competition shooter.
To begin with, it will be a good set up for you. Probably keep you happy for years unless you start chasing perfect scores in comps.

Yes but what I was alluding too was that they are made in the same factory by the same people just under the Tikka brand.
They use the same barrel, action and trigger as a Sako it is just the rest that is different.
I have never heard that the Howa is better than a Tikka and that was the point of the post.

Good side by side review of the three actions i mentioned. A T3 is its own thing. May come out of Finland but a Tikka is very different to a sako action.

https://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/sako-a7-review

1 Like

@Gregfiddich …just (quickly) read the article and @1Fatman holds. The comparison is pretty freaking thin on everything. It keeps emphasising (mentioned twice at least) - “ability to unload the rifle with the safety on by depressing a small button”. That’s about it, Same people, the same experience, same factory, most likely same materials and machinery. I am not sure there is enough substance in there to disprove what fatty is saying. To add to the muddiness here, the bolt faces on Tikka and the two Sako models discussed are all different… Definitely a thinly vailed marketing spin, certainly not a good comparison review article.

Ahh… the old Tikka v Sako debate… How refreshing :rofl:

3 lug bolt v 2 lug for starters and other differences in action design.

Is a mcmillan mc3 the same as their standard stock because it is the same shape as an A5 and made by the same people. I would say not.

Going to leave it here as i try to minimise my arguing on the net. Believe what you want. I’ve said my piece.

1 Like

I think the important point is the OP will get plenty of mileage out of his Howa or even a Tikka until he shoots numerous thousands of rounds.

We all know he should start with a 22lr until he understands natural point of aim and the influence of position and breathing and grip with out the excuse of cost or recoil or flinch to put him off practicing…

Let the guy be. He wants a new toy, let him have it.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

Only going off what you stated ol’ mate.
Perhaps a better post would have gone along the lines of;
“I’m new to rifle shooting, I’d like to eventually get into long range shooting, I’d like to build up a rifle like this…, do you think I’m on the right path?”
Sorry, but we can only reply to what you post, not what’s in your head.
Your own reply,
“f*cK yEaH bRoE iMmA sHoOt 2000m oFf dA bAt”.
is how your post reads to me.

If all you want to do is hit shit out to whatever range, build whatever you want.
However, if you are considering getting into competition, check up on the rifle specs in the rulebooks for the various competitions available. It would be no good building a rifle only to find out that it doesn’t meet the requirements for the competition that you may choose.

By the way, if you think hitting the 500m gong at Little River is “relatively easy”, ( which, off the bench it is ), stand up and shoot our silhouette rams @ 500m offhand , like we do in competition, that’ll be a bit more satisfying.

2 Likes

Yeah beats me, how people dont get bored shooting off a bench…To me it’s not much of a challenge…I like the offhand positional shooting. @danmac, is that BPCR, the 500m Ram you speak of?

No, high power / centrefire silhouette.
BPCR you get to shoot prone off cross-sticks. ( iron sights though )

Please be gentle.

I’m not trying to put anyone down here. It is just a common theme I see over and over.

Sorry, I am a grumpy (semi) old sea-hunt.

1 Like

Not all in the calibre O.P is talking about, but a few examples to illustrate my point plus a couple of new ones found in just one search.
Calibre/Item: 308W
Make: Lithgow
Model: l105 Woomera
Action: Bolt Repeater
Scope/Sights: None
Condition: Very Good
Price: $2500
Advertised: 4/03/2021
Comment: Very accurate rifle. Fired approx 200 rounds. Small scratch under barrel…

||State: WA|add to watchlist

|
| — | — |
Calibre/Item: 308W
Make: Howa
Model: 1500 Varmint
Action: Bolt repeater
Scope/Sights: Vortex DBT 4-16x50 FFP
Price: $995
Comment: Howa 1500 in an oryx chassis. Comes with an MDT extended bolt knob, MDT 10 round magazine. Topped with a Vortex diamondb…
Calibre/Item: 223
Make: Tikka
Model: T3X
Action: Bolt
Scope/Sights: Zeiss 3-15x50
Price: $2999
Comment: Tikka T3X 223 fitted with MDT LSS-XL Stock adjustable with Magpul grip and fore grip 10 rd mag threaded barrel and
Calibre/Item: 6.5 Creedmoor
Make: Tikka
Model: T3 Tac A1
Action: Bolt
Condition: Excellent
Price: $3000

Price Reduced

Advertised: 24/01/2021
Comment: X2 10 shot mags, bipod, Tikka hard case. this gun would suit new buyer. minimal use…
Calibre/Item: 6.5 Creedmore
Make: Lithgow
Model: LA105 Woomera
Action: Bolt Repeater
Barrel Length: Varmint
Condition: New
Price: $2950
Advertised: 27/02/2021
Comment: Brand new still in box…

Power Ammo, 21 Copland St. Wagga NSW

1 Like

Mmmm I do like that Tikka T3 Tac, and I think it is a reasonable price.

1 Like

Last two bang on what the OP is after.

1 Like