Collectable ammo

Welp, I’ve descended into the next circle, collecting milsurp ammo to go with the milsurp rifle.

Stumbled across some WW2 .303 with the clips for $35 a box at the Shepparton gun and Militaria fair.

Welshpool ammo from 1944. Was $35 a fair price or did I get ripped off?

Also, there were bigger boxes of .303 with red writing on them and the year 1967. Where would this be from?

1 Like

Within realms of fairness. Could have been cheaper, but than again, everything could be cheaper. Typical (arguably) Australian cartridge, made in Australia, for WWII, can’t really complain methinks. Cool start to an OCD :wink:

The red stuff is highly likely pakistan ordinance factory, i’ve got a bit of .303 from around the globe, my Melbourne footsgray ammo from… 43 i think is my best, the pof stuff sucks, good as a keep sake though

1 Like

Righto, who’s going to bite?

https://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=173160

I bought a cardboard Eley Noble pinfire 12 g case today, not going to hang onto it, bought it for someone else.

And I bet he’s going to love it!

Pic? They sound interesting.

I’m up bush, only have a phone camera and no way to transfer photos.
Someone else has a photo though- and may be able to upload it.

I’ll just leave this here then…:grin:

3 Likes

Found my most collectable round today during a lockdown cleaning.

Its a 1914 Mk VII .303 case inert, fired and reloaded but not reprimed or loaded with propellant and a strange “projectile”.
I bought it in an Op shop pre internet without knowing what it was.
Anyone care to guess?

Photo?

Soon. I have a lot of photos to take.

1 Like

Its one of these- image

But considerably more tarnished, I hadn’t seen it for a decade.
The pictured one has a replacement pencil - it should be round.

1 Like

That’s cool

It is a 1914 Princess Mary pencil - https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/look-inside-the-princess-mary-gift-fund-1914-box
Which, although a few family members would have received one I’d never heard of.

310Cadet ammo.

So I did a little digging and looking and…

Melbourne made, one open, one sealed :slight_smile:

Eh, why not, right…

And a handful of lose stuff, a mix of ‘made in Melbourne’ lol and 2 types of Kynoch.

There’s a third type, looks similar to Kynoch but a little shorter. After some research: Cattle Killer, also by Kynoch.

Pretty neat. I am going to keep some, pull others for measurements; and shoot the rest. Will be interesting to collect chrono data on actual loads of the day.

(reference for later, in case I lose it: https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/310-rook-with-750-case/3661)

And then I thought, well, those boxes look pretty so I grabbed some of “those” boxes too.

(Kynoch, apparently military training ammo, but who knows)

…and some randomness I ended up with:

3 Likes

I have 4 boxes i receiver for mowing an old blokes lawn one time

Hey DMC,
I know this is a rather old post and I am new to this forum but I’m hoping it will notify you.
Do you by any chance have a photo of a Eley Grand Prix 28 gauge paper hull box? I purchased one cartridge and I am cataloging it into my collection. Also do you or any of the members have info on this cartridge? I live in Clinton Utah USA and growing up never heard of 28 gauge. As an adult I knew of their existence but don’t know if they were a game round or strictly a clays round.
![IMG_0407|666x500](upload://4o9aSgh7XSGMVknR88IFg4UaiBf.jpeg

Gday mate, sorry but I don’t have any 28g stuff unfortunately.
Google may be your best bet, or some of the british sites.
I believe it was used for shooting quail and phesants mostly.

Ps. gundmc is an old account of mine.