Chances of finding a Lee Loader for 6.5x55 Swedish?

Nomis,
The Smart reloader kits are cheap and i have seen them at a couple of gun shows. Dont be temped by the price. They look crap and i am yet to hear of any good reports about them.

1 Like

Yeah saw them online. They even look cheap.

Dont know what midway are like to deal with but, cheap. + postage i guess

I’ve bought plenty of stuff off them through eBay, never had any trouble.
I believe it’s run by one of @Brett’s mates actually if I remember correctly.

Midway Australia is a good seller.

I have bought a lot of stuff from Midway. found them to be very good. Always adjust the shipping cost if you buy more than one item.

Thanks heaps for that link. I haven’t found anyone else that cheap.

Suggest you get the dies while your at it. Might help with postage. They are normally $40 to $45 for Rgb. (FLRS) only

Hilarious. Dude walked in looking for a cheap mosin, walked out with mosin, reloading gear and carcano as a next project.

So proud of everyone.

I regret nothing!

1 Like

Yep, will do so.

Two questions related to dies.

1. Does the brand matter? As in, can I use any brand of die with the Lee press? Is there a big difference in price or quality between brands?

2. I’m pretty confused as to whether I need a 2,3 or 4 die set. Reloading 7.62x54r and 6.5x55 Swedish if that matters. Am I right in saying a 2 die set will do everything I need and the others are just sort of nice to have?

Yes you will get buy just fine with those two die sets for now, later on you can add some neck sizing dies but don’t worries about that now.
Start basic, get the hang of what your doing a nd start enjoying the savings and the sense of achievement in making your own ammo.
Read lots, ask heaps of questions and to begin with just concentrate on doing it safely, as you go along into the future you can decide how into your reloading you want to get, some people like @sungazer reload for precision and accuracy where as I load coz it’s fun to make bullets and I can shoot heaps more, I load for minute of goat in my hunting guns and cheap as I can for my milsurps and minute of van.
It’s like a choose your own adventure book for big boys! :+1:

With the 6.5 x 55 I only use a 2 die Hornady set and have no problems at all.
Every now and then I will use the neck sizing die instead of the full length resizing but only if I am in a hurry.

@Nomis

Spot on advice:

2, 3, 4 set dies are:

2:

• Full length sizing die (FL die)
  • Bullet seater die

or

• Neck sizing die (that would be the Lee Collette die, highly recommend after you do first few batches with FL die)
  • Bullet seater die

Collette vs FL die, you just got to read the label on the box, but that’s what 2 die sets are

3:

• Bullet seater die
  • FL die
  • Crimp die (useless for bolt action rifles, I only use crimp in semi and lever actions, because recoil…)

4:

• Bullet seater die
  • FL die
  • Crimp die (useless for bolt action rifles, I only use crimp in semi and lever actions)
  • Powder funnel die (used to attach powder thrower, directly on to the press, useless, have a few, never used one)

What you want are:

• FL die - necessity
  • Seating die - necessity

Nice to have:
Collette die (neck only) - nice to have. I use this almost exclusively, but it requires a lot more practice and you will need to batch your brass (i.e. if you have 2 Mosins, you can only used neck sized brass in rifle you shot it in before, unless you FL size it - sort of like reboot). This is a nice to have for when you are comfortable with everything else. Don’t start with this.

Also, consider that when you shoot, the case expands and you will need to resize it (FL die). When you run the case through the die, the case will get squeezed to original dimensions, that extra material that you squeeze back to factory spec has to go somewhere. So it will stretch a little bit (AKA runout). You will need to trim your cases to spec or a bit shorter, to account for future run out, you will need a case trimmer.

To start with, look at Lee Quick Trim. You will need a universal cutter ($25 max, inserts into the die) and a die (goes in your press) specific for your case/calibre (maybe $20 tops). That’s a very cheap and quick option, you will probably want something else at some stage, but start with this.

If you are processing copious amount of brass, you’d probably want lathe style trimmer that you can attach to a drill or electric screwdriver, but they are $150+ (and much, much more). Get Lee Quick Trim to get your toes wet, it’s a good tool, even in the future as a backup. When get your gear, let me know, I have a cutter and even a Mosin die for it.

And something to keep in the back of your mind, when you are full sizing - LUBRICATE, because extracting a stuck case requires more tool$ and you really don’t want to be doing that!

Also, did I mention? Buy a manual and read it.

Awesome. Thanks for the replies everyone.
Very much appreciated.
I’m working through Gunblue’s handloading videos on YouTube at the moment and will hopefully order everything next weekend.

Some good info there. Lee are good enough unless your trying to shoot 500yards.
RGB full lengh sizing dies are all you need to start. And will produce good quality ammo.
Worry about the others (neck) if you need them later.

@Nomis There are also a couple of good threads in the reloading section that are worth a look.

GUIDE: Equipment Needed to Reload

Plus a heap more…

How did you go? Did you buy a kit? Or buy seperately?

I’ve decided I’ll go with a Lee kit to start with but I’m holding off until November.
I’m getting married in early October and then have my final uni conference paper due in late October so even if I buy it now, I won’t have the time to do anything with it until then.
My LGS had them for $290 but I’ll talk them down from that.

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan. I havent used one but all the reports are good about those kits.