Chances of finding a Lee Loader for 6.5x55 Swedish?

Hi All,

I know that Lee used to make a Lee Loader kit for 6.5x55 Swedish and that they stopped production of this at some point in the not too distant past (not exactly sure when).
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen these around (new or used) at either stores or gun and militaria shows?
I thought it would be a fun and simple way to dip my toe into reloading.

Cheers,

Simon.

100% https://www.ebay.com/c/2254385689
Finding one at a decent price is the challenge.

You will eventually find one but I would suggest that you just buy a press and a set of dies, because once you start shooting milsurps and reloading you will get addicted.

Don’t tempt me…

Tempt…
Tempt…
Tempt…

@bentaz is pretty much correct and in long run, press is cheaper than separate lee classic loaders, it’s more accurate, because COAL should not be set with a freaking mallet! And milsurp ammo is not exactly cheap or common (it goes through cycles). Really, reloading is the way and a good single stage press is irreplaceable (you may get more, different types, etc. But single stage is pretty much the go to for any load development).

Do it.

I am with the boys regarding buying some reloading gear. a kit will get you started nearly right away. But personally probably like most here we would get set up sightly different the second or third time around.

If you were to buy the Lee components separately it would be about the same price as if bought in pieces.

So I would buy the specific pieces For instance the press I would buy the Lee Classic Cast press its just $50 or so more expensive. No problems with this press. You could buy another Brand but in most cases you are just paying for the Brand although I do like the look of the MEC.

The Lee Powder thrower is just $40 there are lots of people that knock it just because its cheap. However it gives very good results. To the point it has been completely adapted for some very high range Auto powder thrower.

Scales This is where you should spend the bulk of your money. Just like buying the best scp[e you can afford. Weather you go digital or beam there are a few good quality options out there.

Dies well the LEE dies make very good ammo. If you want to get fancy and have the scales from Heaven Then a Redding sizing die that suits your chamber is a good investment as is the Competition bullet seating die.

There are a few things you have to learn along the way to make the selection process of components make sense.

The Lee Powder thrower

I own one. If you keep the hopper full, it will throw with 0.1gr error margin. I love mine and all my milsurps are loaded with it. QA check on scales every 10th rounds.

Scales This is where you should spend the bulk of your money. Just like buying the best scpoe you can afford. Weather you go digital or beam there are a few good quality options out there.

Go digital and spend big here. Whatever you can afford.

Dies well the LEE dies make very good ammo.

All my milsurp dies are Lee. No issues what so ever. Learn to use Lee colette die. It will make your brass go a lot further (after you destroy a few).

All top class Russian Target ammo is set for COAL with the same 5lb hammer that comes in the Nagant maintenance kit. (In fact, it IS the whole kit!), dasvidanya.

I agree with nearly all of the about.

This bit i disagree with, for me i would spend the extra on a digital powder thrower like the Lyman Gen 5 or the RCBS etc. These are accurate and give consistent results. They are not cheap but worth it.

Auto throwers are awesome and if you have the cash, that should be the first option, but when starting out, $40-$45 compared to $500, $600+ for something that works pretty well for fraction of the price and will continue to serve you is really hard to bit.

1 Like

Thing is, If you have a really good set of scales the powder thrower is nearly redundant. You throw a powder charge that is 0.5gr or so low and then trickle the load up to the correct measure.

Note this only works with really good scales. A lot of the cheaper electronic scales after getting an average reading will stick at that reading until the weight increases by quite a bit before taking another reading.

So I’m best to stay away from the Lee kits? There are a few out there with the powder thrower, scales, resizing thingy etc for about $350.

Before you get on the tools, I really suggest you read a reloading book. Not online, not YouTube, an actual, published book. Nick Harvey’s reloading manual is a very good starting point. His load data section (ignore that) is very questionable, but his introduction chapters on actual processes, the why’s and how’s are probably the best I’ve seen (yes, I have read a few to make that comparison). Also people like Nick Harvey are a cancer of the Australian shooting sports, yes, I agree (to angry mob), but his book is something I recommend you get before any tools.

Will look into it. Is his book widely available?
Also, what’s the drama about him?

G’day Nomis,
Nothing wrong with the Lee kits, or the Lyman for that matter. Most of us “oldies” started with them when there simply were no other choices, especially progressive presses. I had been reloading for 20 years before I got a set of scales, I would heartily agree with juststarting, Harveys is a good book, widely available. Old and superseded books such as Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading are also very good, and being early editions can be found in 2nd hand sections at fairs very cheap, Cheers.

Good to know. I’m going to be at the Bendigo arms and Militaria show weekend after next so I’ll be having a look around.

Another good thing to do is find someone who reloads to show you the ropes. It is easy to get lost in all the pieces of reloading equipment that is out there.
Not sure about over there but here we have a few gun shops that run reloading courses, if you can find a shop that does the same then i would suggest doing the course.

If you were going to buy a kit. I would still recommend the Lee kit. You are always going to add a few bits and pieces to any kit as you refine your process. The kit is the best way to get started quickly.

I have a soft copy of the Lee reloading manual. I will try to find it and see if we can work out a way to host it here. If not there are always options.

You could upload the pdf manual to one drive or google drive and then share it.