car first aid and EDC

For most people, a basic course that teaches CPR, how to use a defib, recognise heart attack/stroke/asthma, basic bleeding control and minor bites/stings/burns, is probably all they need. In my real world experience, patients wont let you put a broken arm/leg in a splint if the ambulance is on its way. I’m sure training providers put a hell of a lot of time and effort into working out what’s useful and what’s fluff for the general population.

The advanced and remote course should be tailored to your needs (i.e. workplace/sport/hobby) and spend time on considering options like tourniquates (that are generally frowned upon, but may save someone’s life). The most benefit I got was from the additional time on bandage techniques and triage at complex emergency scenes. In the remote course i did, we did full blown role play including several with cars simulating different collision scenarios (head on, roll over) in a remote area. Two people would leave the area, the trainers and rest of students would set up the “collision” and patients. The “first responders” would arrive and have to unpack the situation and deal with it. The trainers would throw things into the mix along the way, including no phone coverage, minimal first aid supplies, apparently drunk and aggressive bystander coming out of the bush (who was not drunk, but a passenger that had been thrown out of the car). You had to think on your feet. Was a good experience. Ill do it again soon.

4 Likes

I normally carry 2 first aid kits in my car when going out on the beaten track. The first is a First Responder kit and the second is a Remote Travel kit. When in town I just have the Remote Travel kit.
There are also the normal tools like a socket set with a set of combination spanners, hammer, screw drivers, various types of tapes and a couple of rolls of electrical wire, cable ties, a tube of NeedIt putty, Super glue, fire starter, punches and chisels, fuses and some fencing wire ( about 3 feet) and yes I am from the country.

In the front there is the normal bits and pieces like Panadol, lollies, Band-Aids etc along with a Leatherman, fire extinguisher, torch and spare batteries, phone charger cables, 1000 watt inverter mounted under the passengers seat plus other bits that I am sure that I have forgotten.

In the back is a recovery kit complete with s natch strap and shackles, bridle, drag chain and a box of matches for when we see a broken down or stuck Jeep.

1 Like