car first aid and EDC

Yep definitely carry first aid kit, a few tools, Spare fuel filter, hootchie, ropes and tie downs, spray jacket, knife, torch, a 20lt water tank under tray with soap dispenser, and of course supplies incase one has a backside emergency.

1 Like

Its not so much that I am on the road a lot these days, more that I never know exactly what tools and PPE I will need.
I may have to do anything from replacing an emprom chip to stonemasonry.

Gee I hope you have upgraded the suspension on that ‘cruiser ol’ mate. Just for shits and giggles you should put it over a weighbridge, you’d be surprised just how much extra weight all of that shit adds up to.

Yep it’s got pretty flash fully adjustable remote res off road racing suspension, and airbags in the rear for when towing the van. Plus it’s had a GVM upgrade to keep it all legal, weight as it sits with all the gear mentioned, a full fridge, full tank & driver is 3310kg, still got plenty up my sleeve with the GVM upgrade.
Plus it’s got bigger cross drilled & slotted brakes for more stopping power, and a very fun Remap to help move all that weight in a hurry. :grin:

Yep, like I said, all of that stuff adds up. My brother in law runs a tag-a-long tour company and got sick and tired of repairing and towing broken down vehicles from overloading. He now gets any prospective customers to load their vehicles up with all of the crap they think they need and go weigh them.
When they get over the shock of how much their vehicle is overloaded by, he then advises them on just what they need and how to better prepare their vehicles.
Landcruiser wagons are about the worst culprits due to the fact that from the factory they have fuck all payload to begin with. Wack a bullbar, side-steps, roof rack, drawer system, fridge, towbar, spare wheel carrier and all of the other crap that people are told you can’t go bush without and they’re close to being overloaded before even fuelling up or anyone sitting in it.

I agree, and the biggest thing with the 200 series in particular (especially the Sahara with it’s extra factory weight) is the front axle load rating, with nothing more than a steel bullbar and synthetic rope winch and it’s already over. most people wouldn’t even realise how little it takes.

Back on subject, all of my vehicles have a first aid kit, tool kit, always carry some water, torch, knife/blade and some form of soap. ( Even before the Zombie virus)
Extras are loaded in when required for the task at hand, for example, a trip to the big smoke doesn’t require the same supplies as a trip out bush. ( Both usually require a supply of beer however.)
P.S. I highly recommend that if you haven’t done any first aid training that you do so. ( Preferably an advanced coarse ) You never know when someones life may depend on your actions. May not be essential in the city but out here in the bush it can make a huge difference to the outcome of an emergency situation.

Sounds like something that you take on a date, gaffer tape,zip ties, gloves…

1 Like

Only problem with JS’s dates is the woman is not aware she is on a date till the car boot lid closes.

3 Likes

Ha-ha

I always have a good supply of empty shotgun shells n maccas coffee cups, oh and I keep a skateboard behind the seat and a birdwatching field guide in the door pocket!
True story…

2 Likes

You are disgusting.

1 Like

Pretty safe to say @bentaz has any situation covered with his kit.

I was referring to Mc’s coffee. :face_vomiting:

I will have to wait until I get home and use the computer as I have a bit of a list.

Ballarat is shit for coffee, I really only trust maccas and Bunnings, two best cuppas in B’rat.

Yes but when you combine those used cups with a skateboard, shottie shells, and some Macgyver skills there’s nothing that can’t be done.

I’m not going to mention his big sissy la la bird book though. :wink:

1 Like

Hippie with a gun :rofl:

I second this. Keep in mind that whilst even a basic first aid course is incredibly useful, there is an underlying assumption that an ambulance will arrive in 15 minutes…if you go bush, an advanced/ remote area course is worth the extra time and $

1 Like

Out of interest, what are we talking about… What do people consider advanced?

Tracheotomy? Decompression? Anything that involves a scalpel? Inserting airway tubes? I feel like that’s a level up, which probably needs at least a paramedic education. Everything else seems to be manageable with enough pressure and splints.

So question is for those who are suggestion an advanced course. What did you learn there, beyond applying bandages, pressure in all shapes and forms, or immobilising things?