Anybody else swaging.

@JMC_Def don’t encourage @juststarting or he will have to build a bigger bench for another project. :rofl: :shitstir: :shitstir: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

sorry man trying to upload the vid on the computer. figuring out how to format

its in mp4

Why not just upload to YouTube and let it do its thing?

I’m not a big public speaker man so bear with me this just shows the already cut block of steel cut to the 224 hornet profile in the vise the 22lr case is already full of lead ready to be swaged. I’ll show more in depth detail once I have the 6mm sorted. I’ll go through from start to finish .https://youtu.be/lILUVCahbLM

1 Like

On the 6mm die the projectile goes all the way in which leave less margin for error. It’s pretty simple and archaic at the moment until I get my 7/8x14 all thread and make some proper dies for the reloading press

1 Like

This is so cool.

Like, very freaking cool!

Now you done it, he is hooked lol.

I think it’s a cool skill.

It’s pretty much the ultimate reloading skill.
That’s very cool.

Thanks guys, it’s really one of those things that quite a simple concept but you don’t really know how they will exactly turn out until you jam one in there and remove it.

I wrekon I could re purpose the wood splitter. It has a removable wedge on the bottom and any fitting can be attached to the hydraulic ram. But I dont have much of an idea on what or how you are doing all this. Video and pics would be great.

Start of by trimming a few cases down,

Then I take a 5.5 drill bit and insert it in the mouth of the trimmed case. Make sure you lube the drill bit before inserting into the case (but not too much because of hydraulic pressures) .
Here’s the Derimming block, simply just tool steel drilled completely through, countersunk and the inside polished. Mine measures 6.1 I.d.
Then i just punch those cartridges through to iron out the rims it take quite a bit of force but once you get the sweet spot it’s not that hard.
Then you you have your drawn derimmed jackets
For the cores I just made a simple mold of aluminium. 5.5 drill used the countersunk you get the picture. or you could simple cast straight into the jacket if you like. But if you want repeatable grain weight cores is better. Pic of seated core and an empty jacket
Finally start punching them into the die (again plenty of lube) make sure cut your actual bullet profiles deeper than I initially did as it supports the rest of the jacket while forming the ogive. accidentally the other day I put one in back to front and made an fmj but I bloody lost it on the shed floor last night haha but you get the picture. Please don’t judge the mess in my workshop lol

They look really good. How do they shoot?

Don’t worry about the messy workshop, it just shows that you use it lol.

1 Like

I cleaned up my reloading room Once, couldn’t find a thing after wards.

1 Like

I love to do this for jacketed 12ga slugs

Yeah @1Fatman I like to emphasise the word “work” in workshop it’s not called a cleanshop for a reason haha. I’m not too sure how they shoot yet as where in the midst of developing a. 243 load for my mates gun for them. But I have shot the 38 grain hornet pills over 13gr of lil gun and small pistol primers and they are pretty sweet small game round.

What got me interested in swaging was I remember reading an article in one of my uncles old gun mags a few years ago. It went on to say even some of the big ammo manufacturing companies started out this way.

That’s a pretty good grouping.
Should be interesting to see how the 243 goes.

@GUN-DMC I’m very interested in you 12 jacketed slug idea I was only thinking about it the other day so I crank out this 430gr polymer jacket slug