3D printing for reloading

It’s actually in the mail right now to @1Fatman. When he confirms that I got the bloody tolerances dialled, stl is yours.

I don’t actually own a comparator, so it was all coordinated online. See how he goes first, but yes, I’ll pop an stl online once it’s dialled in.

@Cavallino - my printer… Moded a bit. Best thing was adding the auto level sensor. That was the biggest win. Everything else is just tinkering with Z offset, which is just an analogue interaction, AKA turning the knob to adjust the extruder as it prints.

Profile took a lot of experimentation and test prints, but that’s all required knowledge anyway.

So who here has 3D printers and do you guys have any cool printing suggestions (or links)?

So I got this delivery this morning and upon opening it found a little gift from @juststarting.

First some back ground Information, a while ago I brought a Hornady bullet comparator and a full set of inserts. The problem is this is how they come;

The main body and allen key come in a little plastic bag and the inserts in a packet. I was always worried about losing either the main body, allen key or an insert.
After a discussion with juststarting he kindly offered to 3D print one for me (cause he is that sort of bloke) and after some rough bush measurements he proceeded to print one.

It arrived and I must say it was better wrapped up than a 16yr olds virginity.

After having a good look at it and test fitting some inserts, I put it together;

He even went the extra step and put in a spot for the allen key so I should never lose it;

Everything fits in nicely and is easy to get out and with the lid on they can’t fall out. The design was one that juststarting did himself from scratch and did a terrific job of it. The print is great and the tolerances are spot on.

I would like to give a big thanks to juststarting for going out of his way and doing this for me.

4 Likes

I even printed it in your national colours. And you’re welcome.

2 Likes

Thanks you comrade, just remember soon we will all be at one with the Party.

But it was alright, everything was alright, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

Nicely done JS

2 Likes

Thanks JS, this thing looks fantastic! Love this design.

1 Like

That looks amazing, great work :love_you_gesture:

Thanks all.

Okies, so turns out I have like less than zero motivation to package stuff for Thingiverse, so here it is: Hornady Bullet Comparator box and lid.

Box STL download
Lid STL download

• Printed with PLA+, however PLA will be the same.
  • Printed at 20% infill.
  • No supports.
  • No rafts.

Correct printing orientation for the box:

Note the lid slot is at the top (not at the bottom).

2020-04-12_16-30-39

31mm overhang, in case you were wondering, seems to be printing just fine here without supports. If you add supports, you will have a c*nt of a time removing them. I printed without.

2020-04-12_16-28-55
Correct orientation for the lid.

Lid will need to be worked a little bit, in and out, to smooth it out, in case you have print artifacts inside the slots, you’ll feel it if you do.

Enjoy.

4 Likes

JS, you are a legend! What layer height and speed did you print this at?

2020-04-13_21-54-33

2020-04-13_21-54-23

This is specific to my printer though…

1 Like

In the process of printing the Open Bullet Feeder.

2 Likes

Damn @Cavallino , you got that shit dialled in VERY WELL!

I started with a different motor and designed my own dropper tube, for proximity sensor. Then wired it into a 12V relay, etc. Then I found this and thought, mmm, way more elegant and mine needed more refinement. Suggestion - go with this:

At least the motor… I buy a few things from them (him), very easy to deal with, From memory the tube was a bit cheaper when I bought it, but considering all up cost… You just printed a $800 device for like a buck fiddy, this is worth considering.

You’ll also need one of this:

Either DIY or buy, but that’s the bit that’s needed.

Thanks J.S. have to confess this isn’t my first one I’ve printed. Last one I used the JGY370 motor and is performing well, and went with the springs and dropper from David Bailey as well.

Have since found springs on ali express that may work as the dropper springs.

Also anyone that has this print working, what degrees angle did you orientate the hopper? The 45 degrees angle didn’t work for me and had to use 35 degrees to get it feeding correct.

I’ll take some photos… Can you share AliExpress links?

Aaaaand, what’s the second one for? :slight_smile:

The large spring should measure 15mm OD x 1.0mm wire diameter, the small spring should measure 12mm OD x 0.9mm, by whatever length you need.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32812888754.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.20.6d1f7ff3ZiNJas

The second is for a mate that wants one and the first one I made was yellow and green, just doesn’t suit the Dillon.

I was wondering if you could print up a fore end grip for the 7615 a bit like the magpul one. But make it so it is longer at the back end so it either comes all the way back to the receiver or maybe even comes back outside it at the back. A bit bigger at the back to give clearance.

I have been finding that with the magpul grip my forearm is to outstretched which makes it feel heavier at the front.

Anything is possible, if there are designs. Theoretically, yes. However, there are no designs for it. And you’d need different plastic… But STLs are the big one.